In this thread, we can discuss or debate candidates. The next presidential election is in November 2024. There have already been some campaigning going on 2 years before 2024. Here are some people who have announced that their running for president (from USA Today):
Three Republicans – former President Donald Trump, ex-South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, and Vivek Ramaswamy, a wealthy biotech entrepreneur – already have announced. Biden is expected to run for reelection as well.
I'm honestly tired of hearing about Trump. I'd like to see some new and interesting candidates. Nikki Haley, meh, we'll see. Biden? Let's see if Buttigieg steps up to run.

Vivek Ramaswamy? So far, I've watched a speech of his where he talks about being against affirmative action. He has been speaking out against "wokeness". He's only standing out to me so far because he's an outsider, but we'll see how he does.

For Debate:
1. Who else do you think will run for president? Florida Governor DeSantis? or California Governor Gavin Newsom?
2. Who do you think will will the Republican nomination and the Democrat nomination?
3. Who do you think will win the presidency? If you don't want to choose a specific candidate, then you can also say which party will win.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
some campaigning going on 2 years before 2024.
I think it’s most likely we’ll see Biden and Trump again 😕 [bored and slightly sad sigh] for the first presidential rematch since Dwight D. Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson, and maybe Grover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison before that!

Personally,

I’d love a candidate who put slow erosion of middle-income jobs front and center, and maybe had—

Three things I’m going to do right now. And three more cutting edge things I’m going to ask Congress to take a good long look at.

But somehow, I don’t think I’m going to get this.

“All things being equal, however, Americans tend to prefer a young, vigorous leader over an older one. And that could cause problems for Biden — or Trump.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mmm?

But of course, it’s never the case of “all things being equal” ! ! ! 😜

I think it’s most likely we’ll see Biden and Trump again 😕 [bored and slightly sad sigh] for the first presidential rematch since Dwight D. Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson, and maybe Grover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison before that!

Personally,

I’d love a candidate who put slow erosion of middle-income jobs front and center, and maybe had—

Three things I’m going to do right now. And three more cutting edge things I’m going to ask Congress to take a good long look at.

But somehow, I don’t think I’m going to get this.
That would really suck but you're probably right. America deserves so much better. The younger candidates might get too far off base, and I don't think the majority of the electorate, at least the serious ones, are ready for that.

I'd want to see a fresh face like an Andrew Wang, Pete Buttiguieg, and of course, some fresh faces on the right (someone from a different background or who at least embraces different backgrounds!).

a fresh face like an Andrew Wang, Pete Buttiguieg, and of course, some fresh faces on the right

DVD-box-set-of-Carl-Sagan-001.jpg

sagan.600.jpg

I like the way Pete Buttiguieg talks. In fact, it reminds me of the way Carl Sagan talks in the old Cosmos series.

But Pete doesn’t have the traditional qualification of experience of Senator, Governor, or Vice-President.

I like the way Pete Buttiguieg talks. In fact, it reminds me of the way Carl Sagan talks in the old Cosmos series.

But Pete doesn’t have the traditional qualification of experience of Senator, Governor, or Vice-President.
True. His leadership was a bit slow (or the perception of it) when it came to the East Palestine train derailment. I would imagine that any fresh face would need good advisers to inform them on how they can act. I'm just getting tired of the "establishment" (the career politicians).

I had a good convo a few years ago on what experiences qualifies one to be a good president. I think I had this convo after president Obama's first campaign win.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
and what were your conclusions?
Sorry for the late response. I just noticed your post.

My conclusion was that there's no set amount of experience needed. No one president has ever been an expert in all of the areas that their governing. I think a fresh face could get by if they have good advisors, including legal advisors of course.

That would really suck but you're probably right. America deserves so much better. The younger candidates might get too far off base, and I don't think the majority of the electorate, at least the serious ones, are ready for that.

I'd want to see a fresh face like an Andrew Wang, Pete Buttiguieg, and of course, some fresh faces on the right (someone from a different background or who at least embraces different backgrounds!).
How about Gavin Newsome or Bedo O'Rouke for the Dems and Liz Chenny or Mitt Romney for the GOP?

How about Gavin Newsome or Bedo O'Rouke for the Dems and Liz Chenny or Mitt Romney for the GOP?
And they make great VP and president pairings, respectively?! I liked Romney, and I wouldn't be surprised if he runs again. Biden ran for president twice before, and finally won. I thought Gavin Newsome would run. Would love to see him take on Ron DeSantis, lol.

What most of us probably don't want to see is another Biden vs. Trump election.

Reactions: 2Dbunk1