It's official! The first Republican primary debate in for this presidential election cycle will be on August 23, 2023. I'm sure all eyes will be on Donald Trump.

A number of Republican presidential candidates will debate. Here's what we don't: Which candidates will show up (looking at you, Donald Trump), and which will even qualify to participate.

Candidates qualify by getting 40,000 donors (with 200 unique donors in 20 different states) and by hitting a polling threshold that sees them clear 1 percent in a handful of polls.
Source: Politico

These are the Republican candidates that qualify so far:
1. Donald Trump
2. Ron DeSantis
3. Tim Scott
4. Nikki Haley
5. Vivek Ramaswamy
6. Chris Christie
7. Doug Bargum

Waiting to qualify:
Mike Pence, Francis Suarez, Asa Hutchinson, Will Hurd, Ryan Binkley, Larry Elder, Perry Johnson

Source: same as above.

What do you think about this debate?
Who do you think will win?
Who do you think will do the worst (and potentially drop out)?

Last edited:
I just can't believe that Trump keeps bringing up his view of election fraud in the 2020 election. I think that's a very good area for the other Republican candidates to differentiate themselves from him. They'll need to do that to standout otherwise risk getting little to no attention compared to what he'll get.

I think the following is a good example of how debates can make or break a candidate. In these debates, Trump was able to bully former candidate Jeb Bush who was thought to be the leading Republican candidate in 2016 presidential primaries (before the debate). Not too long after, Jeb dropped out of the primaries...

Last edited:
i dont do politics…but it seems pretty pro forma this cycle? dunno
Appears to be the same ol same ol. WOuldn't be surprised if it ends up being Trump vs. Biden again. There just doesn't seem anything to create a new spark in this election cycle. I kinda the mainstream media is not helping when they focus on the same type of candidates. If an independent announced their candidacy, they'd probably get little to no attention.

Reactions: bbyrd009