From a Fox News article:
Critics are lashing out after a man carrying a pistol stopped a mass shooting at an Indiana shopping mall, arguing the man should not be called a "Good Samaritan."

...comedian John Fugelsang wrote on Twitter. "The Good Samaritan did not shoot anyone. Jesus was not a fan of killing for any reason, including self-defense. But if these ammosexuals had ever read the Bible, they couldn't support the GOP or NRA."
[emphasis added]

I'm not sure if Fox News bothered to see if the above views were representative of gun control groups or if they were just looking for comments from anyone just to create their story. Either way, I wanted to concentrate on the part in bold font.

For Debate..
Was Jesus against killing people?

Last edited:
In one of the later chapters of the Gospel of Luke:

Jesus calls for swords.

Says that’s enough swords.

And when Peter “one of them” chops off a Roman guard’s “the servant of the high priest”’s ear outside the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus heals the man’s ear.

* maybe another part of the New Testament says it was Peter

Last edited:

Luke, chapter 22:
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals,did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’ [Isaiah 53:12]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

==========

NIV, or New International Version

Last edited:
Luke 22 (continued):

39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

[many early manuscripts do not have verses 43 and 44]

45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”

49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

Last edited:
Was Jesus against killing people?
I had to do some research on this before coming to a conclusion. The strongest case for those who would answer yes, like the pacifists, comes from Matthew 5:38:
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, do not show opposition against an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other toward him also.
When this text is considered in isolation, it does seem to support the view that Jesus was against killing, and even any stopping of evil. But besides needing to apply the context (even going as far back as the OT which is what Jesus started referencing), that standard would lead to a chaotic world where laws aren't enforced. Even if someone says that the rule only applies to Christians, but then that conflicts with Jesus's actions in John's Gospel ch. 3 vss. 13-16 where he uses whips on people, and plenty of other teachings, like being able to "remove" an evil person from the Church (1 Corinthians 5:11-13).

I haven't been able to find an explanation that I can agree with 100%, but I have found some that avoid some obvious contradictions and negative effects. To some level, Jesus was teaching to not respond to evil. Again, if this was something he meant to apply to all levels, then society would turn into chaos by not responding to evil or criminals. Some of the explanations I've read addresses two aspects, one is the type of offenses that the evil person does and the other is how the Christian responds to it. A few Christian websites mentioned that Jesus teaching was referring to matters of personal slights. I can accept that given that the offenses mentioned in Matthew 5:38-42 weren't referring to anything serious or life threatening, and even the "slap" can be a metaphor (similar to a "slap in the face"), but even if literal, it's nothing life threatening.

In terms of the Christian response to these offenses, The Oxford Bible Commentary mentions this:
The brief scenes vividly represent the demand for an unselfish temperament, for naked humility and a willingness to suffer the loss of one's personal rights; evil should be requited with good. There is no room for vengeance on a personal level (cf. Rom 12:19).

The verses are not a repudiation of Moses. While in the Pentateuch the lex talionis belongs to the judiciary process, that is not the sphere of application in Matthew. Jesus does not overthrow the principle of equivalent compensation on an institutional level - that question is just not addressed - but declares it illegitimate for his followers to apply it to their personal disputes. [1]
I can agree with that as the most likely explanation. The above excerpt cites Romans 12:19 but I think vs. 18 mentions a principle that is also relevant:
verse 18: If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
[emphasis added]

I think Romans 12:18 and 19 is the goal of Matthew 5:38.

Sources cited
1. Barton, John and John Muddiman. The Oxford Bible Commentary. Oxford University Press. 2001, pg. 855.

Last edited:
In one of the later chapters of the Gospel of Luke:

Jesus calls for swords.

Says that’s enough swords.

And when Peter “one of them” chops off a Roman guard’s “the servant of the high priest”’s ear outside the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus heals the man’s ear.

* maybe another part of the New Testament says it was Peter
Yes, John 18:26 says it was Peter.

We also have the same position in terms of the debate question. Jesus did not ban all instances of killing. In my last post, I focused more on the points that pacifists would use to make their case.

As an amateur screenwriter,

* haven’t yet made a single dollar!

The part where Jesus calls for swords and then two verses later says two swords are enough,

that’s just bad screenwriting.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Here's a good short video depicting Jesus entering the Temple and then turning over tables and swinging a whip...not exactly the pacifist you'd expect!

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Here's a good short video depicting Jesus entering the Temple and then turning over tables and swinging a whip...not exactly the pacifist you'd expect!
This video depicts Jesus as a hothead.

Then it has the line: “so he made a whip from chords.” What, he just happened to have some chords with him? ! ?

This video depicts Jesus as a hothead.

Then it has the line: “so he made a whip from chords.” What, he just happened to have some chords with him? ! ?
Didn't say where he found them (John 2:15). Probably just laying around somewhere and he decided to use it as a whip.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur