Adam and Eve are said to be responsible for sin being in the world. I've come across several different interpretations of what that sin is. I've heard some even accuse God of the wrongdoing. So lets see what members think of those issues here.

Questions:
1. What was Adam and Eve's sin?
2. If being put in the garden was a test, did Adam and Eve have the ability to pass it?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Okay, so I really started this thread because of the following post that seems to paint Knowledge as being the problem...
The conscience of man was a kind of breaking system. I believe the choice between taking in God Himself as divine life was on one side and uniting with God's enemy was on the other side - the tree of life verses the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

This knowledge of good and evil we have and are very proud of also. Unknown to Adam who chose to not take the tree of life in favorof the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was:

1.) He would not always have the life power to carry out the GOOD that he knows.
2.) He would not a;ways have the life power to reject the EVIL that he knows.

In other words the first parents gained the KNOWLEDGE but forfeited the life POWER and life ability. Why? Because they became united with God's enemy.
If I'm understanding correctly that knowledge here was a problem, then I disagree. Knowledge was not the problem, but rather the issue was simple disobedience. Adam and Eve simply did not follow directions. They did their will over God's will. If this is not the case, then that gets into the 2nd question in the OP, as in, why did God put something bad (the Tree of good and evil) in the garden to begin with?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Okay, so I really started this thread because of the following post that seems to paint Knowledge as being the problem...

If I'm understanding correctly that knowledge here was a problem, then I disagree. Knowledge was not the problem, but rather the issue was simple disobedience. Adam and Eve simply did not follow directions. They did their will over God's will. If this is not the case, then that gets into the 2nd question in the OP, as in, why did God put something bad (the Tree of good and evil) in the garden to begin with?

The problem of the forbidden fruit is not knowledge per se.

Knowledge in and of itself is is not bad mouthed in the Bible.
In fact even knowledge of good and evil is not bad mouthed in the Bible.
Independence and rebellion against the eternal ultimate authority of creation's Govermor is condemned.
And God seems to hate death more than He hates sin.

The problem is two fold. An illustration first:
If a mother warns her child not to drink out of a bottle that has poison but the child does anyway, two problems arise.

1.) The child has transgressed the command of the parent rejecting her authority.
2.) The child has received into it something poisoness destroying them from within.

First Adam transgressed the command of God. He moved from a neutral and innocent position to a position of disobedience.
Secondly Adam was united with God's enemy. Satan's nature infested him, polluted him. The Satanic nature of sin attached itself to Adam like a cosmic parasite.

Adam chose independence. He followed the evil one who was originally created with such perfect wisdom abd beauty, the Anointed Cherub, the Daystar. But this original wise, beautiful, knowledgeable one too the lead in the universe to rebel against his Creator.
Concerning this being the prophet Ezekiel says by way of the "prophetic past" of pre-Adamic times -

Ezekiel 28:12 - Thus says the Lord Jehovah, O you who sealed up perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty,
Think about it. Originally Satan was a created being who summed up perfection. He was wise and perfect in beauty.
Who could have been more humble, more attractive, more insightful, and more glorious? He had much knowledge as a creature.

Verse 15 - You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, until unrighteousness was found in you.
He came out of the shoot with this perfection from the moment he was created. Probably he was the highest being God created.

Verse 17 - Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; you corrupted your wisdom by reason of your brightness.
This all beautiful being, full of wisdom, knowledge, and so close to God originate SELF love and took ALL of those positive attributes to be the antithesis of God.

So the root cause of his corruption was independence and revolt. All that positive characteristics he turned to be "another" Most High, an advasary within God's kingdom.

The advent of more than one will arriving in the universe followed. And a triangular situation developed. God on one side, Satan on the other side. And now a new creature was created - man. Man was place inbetween the two sources to choose one source or the other.
The two sources of being were:
God represented by "the tree of life" and Satan represented by "the tree of [death]" aka - the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
In between these two mutually exclusive sources of existence was the neutral innocent creature man.

Adam had much knowledge. He had to superintend over God's creation. How could he not have been endowed with knowledge?
Adam was also the highest created human being.

But there was a line in the sand that he was told not to cross. That was taking into himself the forbidden fruit.
He could think about it, talk about it, make a poem about it, or discuss it. He was forbidden to EAT of it.
And when he ATE of it he transgressed the holiness, righteousness, and glory of God who is eternal perfection.
And he took into himself the nature of sin being united with the rebel who invented independence from God.

Thereafter he was excluded from taking the life of God into his created vessel - represented by "the tree of life."
Genesis 3:22-24 -

And Jehovah God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever — Then Jehovah God . . . at the east of the garden of Eden He placed the cherubim and a flaming sword which turned in every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

A three-fold barrier seperated man from God from which he must be saved. And the rest of the Bible is the story of how God does that.
The cheribum standing for the glory of God. Man fell short of the glory of God.
The sword standing for the righteousness of God. Man fell short of the righteous requirement of God.
The flame of the flaming sword stands for the holiness of God. Man is polluted with a foreign infestation rendering him unholy.

Instead ofbeing united with divine life Adam united himself and all his descendents with Satan, death, and the sinning nature.
Any knowledge of good and evil could not overcome this power working within man dragging him along with Satan's revolt.
Eventually God as a man must come to solve the problem of man's seperation from God. Christ on our behalf met the need of God's righteousness, God's glory, God's holiness.

And Christ brings man back to the dispensing of the Person of divine life into the created vessel of human life.
In human history Who else besides Jesus of Nazareth is a testimony of what humanity united with God as life looks like?

Last edited:

In the following record of Cain and Abel we see something called SIN operating in Cain's being which he fails to master.
Satan injected his nature into Cain destroying him from within.

Genesis 4:6,7 -
And Jehovah said to Cain, Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen?
If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and his desire is for you, but you must rule over him.
Sin is personified here as in Romans 7. It is an evil person crouching at the door of his will and heart. It has a desire for the domination of man. Its power is immense. And a Savior from "the body of this death" (Rom. 7:24) is needed for freedom.
Rom. 7:23-25 -
But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death?

Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin.

Disobedience.

That is, for Christians of an evangelical persuasion. I’m less sure for Catholic Christians, mainstream Protestant Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, and other Christians.
In addition to Adam's transgression something of a evil nature entered into Adam's body. He was CONSTITUTED with sin. His constitution was that of a sinning being.

Romans 5:19 - For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were constituted sinners, so also through the obedience of the One the many will be constituted righteous.

The problem of the forbidden fruit is not knowledge per se.

Knowledge in and of itself is is not bad mouthed in the Bible.
In fact even knowledge of good and evil is not bad mouthed in the Bible.
I'm with you so far.
First Adam transgressed the command of God. He moved from a neutral and innocent position to a position of disobedience.
Secondly Adam was united with God's enemy. Satan's nature infested him, polluted him. The Satanic nature of sin attached itself to Adam like a cosmic parasite.
Interesting way of explaining it and we're on the same page!
And now a new creature was created - man. Man was place inbetween the two sources to choose one source or the other.
This helps:
[Will post picture later]

God represented by "the tree of life" and Satan represented by "the tree of [death]" aka - the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
You lose me here again. How or why does Satan represent the tree of knowledge?... I'll try to reread and see if I can understand it.

Last edited:
You lose me here again. How or why does Satan represent the tree of knowledge?... I'll try to reread and see if I can understand it.
Look at the RESULT of Adam taking in fruit of that forbidden tree. Look at that result in the whole rest of history

Satan is called the one who has the might of death - Heb 2:14 - " him who has the might of death, that is, the devil,"
Adam relinquished his innocent position and came under this evil one.
The "whole world" lies in this evil one - 1 John 5:19 - We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies in the evil one.

Consider Eph. 2:20-24
And you, though dead in your offenses and sins,
in which you once walked according to the age of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, of the spirit which is now operating in the sons of disobedience;
Among whom we also all conducted ourselves once in the lusts of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the thoughts, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest;
We came lived from birth in this world "dead in your offenses and sins" because of the tree.
We came into this world under
"the ruler of the authority of the air" - Satan.
We came under the
"operating" of this evil spirit within us.
We lived from birth as
"sons of disobedience" to God.
We conducfed ourselves under the domination of
"lusts of our flesh".
We were dominated by "desires of the flesh and of the thoughts".
We were "by nature children of [God's] wrath" even as the rest the unbelievers.
Since all of this stems back to Adam's partaking of that tree, how can we not help realizing that it represented Satan?
I do not like to over advertize about Satan. Wre should give much more attention to the divine life of God which was represented by the tree of life. Christ today is the life of God for entering into us.
But your question is valid.
Satan is called "the god of this age" (2 Cor. 4:4)
Satan is chiefest of "the rulers of this age" (1 Cor. 2:6-9) blinding men, blinding their minds to the glory of God in the face of Christ.
Satan is again topmost of the evil rulers and "world-authorities" against whom spiritual battle is waged by the Christians.
Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the stratagems of the devil,
For our wrestling is not against blood and flesh but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenlies. (Eph. 6:12)

Since this conflict has its origin in man coming under Satan, how can we not view that tree as his tree?
Nothing else in the garden did God FORBID man to enjoy. Only THAT tree was strictly off limits.
Genesis 2:9 -
And out of the ground Jehovah God caused to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food, as well as the tree of life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Verses 16,17 -And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may eat freely,
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, of it you shall not eat; for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.
Gen. 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other animal of the field that Jehovah God had made. And he said to the woman, Did God really say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden?
A creature craftily LIED to entice Eve to eat what God FORBADE.
Gen. 3:4,5 - And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die!
For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will become like God, knowing good and evil.

Now the most effective LIE is one which contains SOME truth. This is the most dangerous and subtle kind of deception.
And there was an element of truth mixed in sneakily in the serpent's lie. They WOULD obtain something God has - the knowledge of good and evil. This is proved by Gen. 3:22 -
And Jehovah God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever

Yes, God caused the tree to grow along with the other trees.
Yes, by eating they DID gain this knowledge of good and evil which God has.
Yes, in this sense they became like God.

But they gained SIN and DEATH. They lost any power to perform fully the good that they now knew.
The lost the power to resist the evil that they now knew.
The knowledge of good and evil they gained. But being joined to him who has the power of death, they came under
the authority of darkness and in need of TRANSFER.
Who delivered us out of the authority of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, (Col. 1:13)

Look then at the RESULT. Look also at the need for SALVATION into another RESULT of Christ as divine LIFE.

Last edited:

it might be that the knowledge of good and evil is not the same as eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, fruit there being “outcomes” or something similar? Paul rephrases it, in a widely misinterpreted (imo) passage, https://biblehub.com/lexicon/hebrews/5-14.htm
where, in typical Pauline language, meat (solid food, over milk) is portrayed as being perhaps beneficial, when actually Paul is possibly (likely) actually saying that “meat” (facts, maybe?) is for those who have eaten the fruit of knowledge.

Last edited: