In America, would having the Democrats or just Republicans controlling all branches of government be a good or bad thing?

What are the benefits or negatives?

One way to know what a one party rule would look like would probably take looking at states that are controlled by one party. I say this because the branches of state government are modelled after the federal government in that states also have an executive, legislative, and judicial branch. Take a state like California where Democrats control all branches of its government as of 2021 or Texas where Republicans control all branches of their state government. Another way to find out what a one party rule would look like is to see what political views are popular among a political party and where votes for it fell along party lines. I would imagine that the recent efforts for adding more seats to the US Supreme court (as reported here) would've likely fell along party lines if the House were to vote on it (Democrats would've largely favored it).

Given all of this background information, I would say that having one-party rule, whether it be Republicans or Democrat, would likely be a negative. One reason for my view is that when parties go unopposed then they tend to get extreme and may try to silence opposition. For instance, lets consider voting rights. I would imagine that if Republicans did not want to change their political platform to appeal to our increasing diverse demographics (esp. considering race), then they would perhaps make voting laws more restrictive than need be. But if Democrats were in control of the government then they'd likely make voting laws as loose as possible. My thinking on voting rights comes from what has benefitted both sides in recent elections with looser voting laws tending to produce outcomes that go more in favor of Democrats.

On a more personal note, I don't view any one party as being perfect. So one voting practice I have is to try to have a divided government (one party controlling one branch and another party the other). When done, both sides are more than willing to expose each other's dirty laundry and keep each other accountable, which in turn will keep both from going too extreme. The only other alternative in my view is to elect honest politicians that would put country and evidence before party, but that is very hard to find given our polarizing political environment.

Last edited:
I think you need an opposition party to keep the ruling party honest. Though in covid in Australia, the ruling party seems to thrive. Whether it be state or federal .
If we can simplify conservatives as the pragmatic ones and liberal as aiming always to address inequalities, you need both. When one gets carried away, they need to be held to account