For popular or very good threads
There are many religions out there to choose from. My two favorite religions are Christianity and Buddhism. I like many of their teachings and have applied them to my life. But with that said, I still have a lingering thought of wanting to know which religion is true? Is there even a true religion?

For Debate:
1. Is there one true religion? If so, which one?
2. How can we determine that?

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
I guess it would depend on what you measure true and false by. It's subjective. I can safely say that no religion has ever remained true to itself. The closest one to do that, in my opinion, would be Shintoism because it began as a community effort during the planting and harvest seasons and its spirits, or gods, were of little importance. Syncretism is an inherent proclivity.

How can we determine integrity in religion, which I think is more significant, is to measure its syncretistic history. The integrity of religion tends to be sacrificed upon either massive appeal or state sponsorship. So, Siddhartha Gautama created a method of "enlightenment" in which the avoidance of the complexities of Hinduism were the desired goal, but over time Buddhist teachings surpassed them. In Taoism a simple passive rejection of the temporal was replaced by mysticism. The Jewish Messiah was replaced by political and military superiority, with Alexander the Great's influence in 332 BCE, the influence of Constantine the Great had a similar effect on Christianity in 325 CE, who adopted pagan mythology and Greek philosophy (Plato, Socrates). You could argue the same over Shintoism with the conscription by the Royal family of the Nihongi and Kojiki but I don't think it a good argument because that was sort of the point of what would later be named Shintoism when Buddhism began to challenge it.

I guess it would depend on what you measure true and false by. It's subjective.
AGreed. I also think it is largely subjective. I'd like to boil it down to validity, but I would think religion would have to be about more than just a collection of facts. There's also a practical aspect, an existential aspect which grounds us (gives us meaning, value, and purpose), to get them to be better, and to strive for something greater than self.

The integrity of religion tends to be sacrificed upon either massive appeal or state sponsorship.
A lot of my family members are Christians and they always complain about watered-down Christianity. It's almost becoming political now.

Last edited:
I'd like to boil it down to validity, but I would think religion would have to be about more than just a collection of facts. There's also a practical aspect, an existential aspect which grounds us (gives us meaning, value, and purpose), to get them to be better, and to strive for something greater than self.

Validity means the measuring of what is supposed to be measured, so if you measure the deviated religion its validity would be based upon the deviation. Scholars are schooled in the distorted tradition. You have to measure that distortion, I suppose. The problem with looking for meaning, value and purpose is we tend to create those unrealistic concepts and then find ourselves distracted by those unachievable or unnecessary goals while missing the more important reality. So, spirituality really becomes a precarious treading of the thin line between the quixotic (idealistic to an impractical degree) and the mundane (irreligious). The goal in spirituality, I believe, is practicality.

A lot of my family members are Christians and they always complain about watered-down Christianity. It's almost becoming political now.

It has been political since Constantine, roughly 400 years after Christ. Now it is very political. Often when people say modern day apostate i.e. traditional Christianity is watered down, they are talking about cultural or sociopolitical compromise. Christ is far removed from Christianity. The Jews rejected the Christ for political reasons, and though the Bible doesn't actually indicate Christ would return physically, if he did the Christians would reject him for the same reasons.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Data,.. if you don't mind me asking...what made you choose Christianity out of all other religions? You seem to know quite a bit about Eastern religions. Did you find problems with Buddhism and the others?

Data,.. if you don't mind me asking...what made you choose Christianity out of all other religions? You seem to know quite a bit about Eastern religions. Did you find problems with Buddhism and the others?

I don't identify as Christian because Christianity has become something other than what Christ taught. More often than not atheists/agnostics know more about modern day apostate Christian doctrines than myself. I only have a cursory knowledge of Eastern religions. I studied briefly their history and I've published and even translated some of their sacred texts. The Four Noble Truths, Dhammapada, Gospel of Buddha, Analects of Confucius, Mencius, Bhagavad Gita, Quran, Pirqe Aboth, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching, Chuang Tzu, and Lieh Tzu.

You know, you can read those, but with the exception of a dissertation of the Four Noble Truths, by the Venerable Ajahn Sumedho, I would more strongly recommend Frank Herberts Dune series. Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune. Really. In understanding religion and, and uh, stuff.

I don't identify as Christian because Christianity has become something other than what Christ taught.
You can't get any more non-denominational than that!

The goal in spirituality, I believe, is practicality.
Yes, I've always thought that even if Jesus wasn't real, but his teachings are real in that they work. I feel some sense of relief after I forgive someone, love my fellow man, and don't go overboard on material things. Makes life stable for me.

Reactions: Data
Here's another observation...

Christianity may not be proven to be the true religion, but it is the most scrutinized religion. And it's still hanging in there. I don't know of any other religion that has been as debated, and perhaps even intellectually examined (philosophers have examined it, scientists, Christian apologists, even adherents of other religions), as Christianity.

Here's another observation...

Christianity may not be proven to be the true religion, but it is the most scrutinized religion. And it's still hanging in there. I don't know of any other religion that has been as debated, and perhaps even intellectually examined (philosophers have examined it, scientists, Christian apologists, even adherents of other religions), as Christianity.

That's sort of the point I was making above. Instead of measuring the deviation of Christianity and trying to fit within some distorted paradigm I go back to the root of the teachings. I don't want to adhere to what some philosopher, theologian or scientist teaches, I want Biblical teachings.

It is political now!
1. Is there one true religion? If so, which one?
2. How can we determine that?

1. Yes, there is one true religion! That is: Know Thyself, Love Thyself, and all good things will flow therefrom.

2. Of due diligence to good books, sincere friends, the Cosmos, and listening to the truths of Nature (for truth is the conscience of Nature).

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy