Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

“Our party and our nation are standing at a time for choosing: Victimhood or victory?” Scott said. “Grievance or greatness? I choose freedom and hope and opportunity.”

And this plan lasts till . . . first serious conflict with the opposition?

Until the first serious and really unfair criticism is leveled against him?

To me, the optimistic and pessimistic are both sides of real life.

Last edited:
And maybe Senator Scott needs Ron DeSantis to stumble? Well, that can happen, or it might not.

If I was a Republican candidate, I’d advocate—

1) Immigration Reform, which has to involve a decent guest worker program,

2) Economic policy which is pro- middle-class jobs, and

3) ___________________

[one other, your choice!]

And steady eddie support of Ukraine, without escalation, but I just wouldn’t make too much fanfare about this one.

And heck, if I was a Democratic candidate, I might support the above, too!

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Our party and our nation are standing at a time for choosing: Victimhood or victory?” Scott said. “Grievance or greatness? I choose freedom and hope and opportunity.”
I'm not too big on Senator Tim Scott. I don't see him as a person that's willing to buck his party, esp. the extreme wing of it, when it's warranted to do so.

I get the saying regarding victimhood vs victory, but I disagree on how Republicans handle it. Sure, we don't just want hand-outs but there's nothing wrong with support systems that don't make people dependent on government. The Republicans don't spend enough time on that. For instance, I'd want free college tuition for every African-American because of effects of their hardships that stems from the history. Forget just handing the money because with the college education they can build their own businesses and write their own checks.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
For instance, I'd want free college tuition for every African-American because of effects of their hardships that stems from the history. Forget just handing the money
I respectfully disagree.

I just don’t believe education is the end-all and be-all. It’s potentially great and life-changing for the individual, and they can get a job they can really sink their teeth into. But as far as overall society, it’s mainly just people competing more energetically for the same limited number of jobs.

For example, I tried to go into computer programming in my 30s. And what I found is that the field is flooded, with pervasive age discrimination. And I was a young-looking 37, for crying out loud.

The companies seemed to have so many job applicants that they could cherry-pick with whatever pet theory they had. And what they seemed to want was techies in their early 20s, pay them a good salary, and they hope they work 80 hours a week.

—> this was around 1999 and 2000

And at this time, the companies also seemed to like to hire a lot of young programmers from India on H1B visas. And same deal, pay them a good salary, but then hope they work monster hours — which I don’t think is good for either the company or the person.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Last edited:
I just don’t believe education is the end-all and be-all. It’s potentially great and life-changing for the individual, and they can get a job they can really sink their teeth into. But as far as overall society, it’s mainly just people competing more energetically for the same limited number of jobs.

For example, I tried to go into computer programming in my 30s. And what I found is that the field is flooded, with pervasive age discrimination. And I was a young-looking 37, for crying out loud.
It's true that education is not a cure-all. Ive been a big fan of advocating for it because I know a lot of minorities that live successfully after getting an education.

Of course the field that you're trying to get into matters. Some fields may have lots of competition, or maybe the field wasn't in demand, or it was just hard to thrive in (like it's a psychology, ::slaps self:: ).

• Love
or it was just hard to thrive in (like it's a psychology, ::slaps self:: ).
My one and only bachelor’s degree is in, drum roll please . . . psychology!

It’s a field about human nature. I just advise people to please take the more far-fetched claims with a grain of salt.

For example, the theory of “cognitive dissonance” is a theory which is BOTH interesting AND pretty well-supported.

But other theories, such as the “5 stages of grief,” just does not explain everyone’s experience at all. The five stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. And for some people, yes, that’s how the experience the loss of a relationship, the death of loved one, a diagnosis of cancer, or other bad news. But other people just don’t have these five steps in order.

Someone else came up with the 7 stages of grief and some of these stages are compound.

Here is Senator Tim Scott on the show, The View:

For the most part he was not inspiring at all. Between the 3:50 to 13:00 minute marks he was asked about race issues and the Republican party. He kept bringing up these small statistics most of the time. I think the Republican party has a real bad problem with race and diversity, overall. This deserves more than just little statistical answers. It may involve, yes, calling out members or some of the thinking of your own party.