It seems that a lot of investigations being done by Congress amount to 'fishing expeditions'. Instead of acting after a crime has been committed or alleged, they investigate just to look for a crime. They caste a wide net to obtain information in hopes that they'll find something incriminating. Sure, some might say that this is not a bad practice since everyone should be engaging in legal activity anyways. What I don't like though is the reason for such investigations, and the selectiveness of it.

For Debate:
1. What's your view on 'fishing investigations'? Are they ethical or should they not be allowed?
2. What are some good examples of 'fishing expeditions' in politics?

1. What's your view on 'fishing investigations'? Are they ethical or should they not be allowed?
In general, I don't think investigations should be done unless there is evidence of a crime or reports of one. However, I'd be okay with oversights and standard audits if they are applied across the board, as in, being applied to every office and person. Keeping it standardize would reduce the chances of it being selective.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Im no apologist for Trump, but it is striking me as kind of obvious that many in the US PTB/Biden/Dem camp are working overtime to basically negate him, and it seems like they have basically taken control of the US? Which is why im skeptible that any standardization would be effective there; Probable Cause is too easily abrogated as it is imo. And let’s be honest; particularly right now, at the decadence stage of our empire, laws are for the unconnected, and are not applied to the rich

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
And let’s be honest; particularly right now, at the decadence stage of our empire, laws are for the unconnected, and are not applied to the rich
Agreed. Besides the rules not applying to the rich, they also don't seem to apply political leaders.

Looks like Hunter Biden is on the fishing expedition list since the Republican controlled House is going after him hard. Perhaps president Biden is next... they have until 2024 to find something to get him on.

Reactions: bbyrd009
Fishing expeditions are a part of 'lawfare'.

Lawfare is the use of legal systems and institutions to damage or delegitimize an opponent, or to deter an individual's usage of their legal rights.[1][2][3][4]

The term may refer to the use of legal systems and principles against an enemy, such as by damaging or delegitimizing them, wasting their time and money (e.g., SLAPP suits), or winning a public relations victory
Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawfare#:~:text=Lawfare is the use of,usage of their legal rights.

Others might call lawfare as being the weaponization of the justice system.

okay with oversights and standard audits if they are applied across the board, as in, being applied to every office and person.
The tough part here is that you’ve got to spot-check, and let people know ahead of time that you’ll be spot-checking.

I’m thinking mostly of business organizations.

The tough part here is that you’ve got to spot-check, and let people know ahead of time that you’ll be spot-checking.

I’m thinking mostly of business organizations.
I have to laugh at that since I've had so many bad experiences.

I've worked at a few terrible places (just hotels mostly, no restaurants) when I was in hospitality. Telling them in advance is just giving them time to sweep everything under the rug. Then things go right back to how it was once the inspectors leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Telling them in advance
Ha!

I mean, UNANNOUNCED inspections.

You let people know, Hey, we like to do drop-in inspections of the register once or twice a month.

You’re not trying to “get people.” You are trying to get them to raise their game.

——————————

I worked at one chain of Mattress Stores. And yes, it was the norm to lie to customers.

The worse place in this regard was H & R Block. They did not really inform their courts that their “partner” bank HSBC engages in 3rd party debt collection. Block was very cagey about this, merely referring to “other debt” on their long form. If people are really interested in this, I think I could still pull something in which the IRS Taxpayer Advocate talks about this, from around 2005.

The boss a little bit acted like I was weird for making an effort to inform clients of this, but he tolerated me making this effort.

many in the US PTB/Biden/Dem camp
I’m glad you put this out there. And I can see a person looking at —

Trump storing secret documents in the Mar-a-Lago bathroom

vs.

Biden storing the secret documents in his garage (one of about 3 homes)

And saying, Hey, this is a case of selective prosecution.

I’ll just say, at the end of the day, President Trump was defiant in way President Biden wasn’t.

* please notice that I try to show respect to both presidents

Last edited:
As far as legit hearings …

how about the train derailment in Ohio from about a year ago? ? ?

Citizens of that small town have talked about symptoms such as nose-bleeds, headaches, coughing, nausea.

Officials have basically said, chemicals at safe levels.

What gives?

Yes, some of these symptoms are vague. And yes, it is possible that a person can worry themselves sick.

But I don’t think we should jump to the conclusion of “safe.” For starters, the people living in this small town may have been exposed to a bigger dose at the time of the derailment, and then a low level continual dose since.