Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

Okay, maybe that’s a way of maybe being coy and testing the waters.

And Joe Manchin along with Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona have been a thorn in the Democrats side with their bare Senate majority the first two years of Biden’s presidency. I mean, these two are so centrist, they’re just barely Democrats.

But maybe that’s what the country needs.

And Democratic voters went for Biden in 2020, and not for Bernie Sanders. Meaning, those who vote in the Democratic Primaries can be more centrist. Just a question of how centrist, if they like the issues Sen. Manchin will be emphasizing, and of course who else is running.

I mean, these two are so centrist, they’re just barely Democrats.

But maybe that’s what the country needs.
Yeah..I think most Americans are closer to the center. Personally, id only use a centrist position as a starting point in a highly polarized environment.

My ideal candidate would simply be nonpartisan. That involves going for any good position regardless of which side it comes from.

Joe Manchin as president? Meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
SOmething Joe Manchin said during an interview:
In this morning's Washington Post, you openly admit you're thinking about it. You told the Post in an interview today, "If enough Americans believe there is an option, and the option is a threat to the extreme left and extreme right, it will be the greatest contribution to democracy, I believe."
Source: MSNBC, Meet The Press

Joe Manchin for president? 🤔

Last edited:
That involves going for any good position, just as long as it's supported by good evidence.
Didn’t you also say small changes are better than nothing, or something to that effect?

And maybe we’ll both agree — That medium changes are even better, because then we can tell if something is working or not. And feel free to disagree if you so wish! :)

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Didn’t you also say small changes are better than nothing, or something to that effect?
I did earlier but it came out wrong. Was typing it up on a phone and it decided to fill in a bunch of nonsense words.

And maybe we’ll both agree — That medium changes are even better, because then we can tell if something is working or not. And feel free to disagree if you so wish! :)
Yeah, I agree. WHen you're in an environment that is highly polarized or where you can't seem to get an agreement, it's probably best to start with a moderate position.

My only worry about Joe Manchin running is that I don't want him to turn out like a Ralph Nader where he just gets a few votes from the Republicans or Democrats. I'd want the media and the people to take him seriously. We should take all candidates seriously.

I think Joe Manchin is an opportunist. He certainly hasn't paid his dues to the Democratic Party! And he thrives on being a controversial figure -- like an enigma (if he knows what that word means). He is no Ralph Nader (whom I admired until he syphoned off votes from Al Gore in Florida in 2000, swinging the election to Bush #43).

Manchin and Sinema are Independent wannabes but still function under the mantel of the Democratic Party. Their biggest benefactors are moneyed interests, not the people they represent.

I think Joe Manchin is an opportunist. He certainly hasn't paid his dues to the Democratic Party! And he thrives on being a controversial figure -- like an enigma (if he knows what that word means). He is no Ralph Nader (whom I admired until he syphoned off votes from Al Gore in Florida in 2000, swinging the election to Bush #43).

Manchin and Sinema are Independent wannabes but still function under the mantel of the Democratic Party. Their biggest benefactors are moneyed interests, not the people they represent.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Neither of the two seem like strong independents even if they were one.

Being an independent by itself doesn't attract me, but I'd also like such a person to have some fight in them or to show that they can get things done! Results!!

I'm inclined to agree with you. Neither of the two seem like strong independents even if they were one.

Being an independent by itself doesn't attract me, but I'd also like such a person to have some fight in them or to show that they can get things done! Results!!

Exactly! Those prospects you speak of are too smart to run for the office. The political parties need to get off their arses and draft good candidates! Someone thick-skinned enough to ignore the media.

Spoke too soon. Couple of mainstream networks reporting that Manchin is considering leaving the independent party.
CNN— Sen. Joe Manchin, the moderate West Virginia Democrat who has yet to decide whether to run for reelection next year or mount a long-shot third party bid for the White House, said Thursday that he’s “thinking seriously” about becoming an independent.
- CNN