This is the place to post all of your thoughts on being an agnostic and applying agnosticism. I'll break the ice..

An agnostic should be able to figure out the weak areas of a view, those areas that are not proven, or that are based on assumption, ideology, or beliefs, or most importantly, those areas that are disguised as being knowledge (dogma).

In the spirit of open-mindedness, always consider or be open to alternatives. Use this to counter views that say something has to be this way or can only be that way.

An agnostic is not only willing to accept a valid view from either side, but he or she is also willing to go against both sides (or any side).

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009
I stay clear of the atheist and theist labels because it seems both sides expect you to support them in a partisan way... As if there is an orthodoxy. As an agnostic, I enjoy my freedom of thought to be critical of any side.

I also would not make a good Republican or Democrat for the same reasons.

It's rare for a view to be entirely right or entirely wrong.

As a Christian, my immediate reaction to information that conflicted with my beliefs was to assume that it was wrong and to counter it. As an agnostic, I no longer feel obligated to defend any beliefs (religious, philosophical, political, etc.) This enables me to be open to any view, even if it conflicts with pre-existing views, just as long as the evidence supports it.

To illustrate this point, just ask yourself, how often do you see atheists being willing to accept Christian viewpoints or even challenge other atheists? It's not possible but it's a rarity. For an agnostic, this should be the norm.

An agnostic should not be afraid to upset (respectfully, of course) the establishment. In an intellectual context, the agnostic should be open to questioning everything and hold on to that which is true.

An agnostic should not be afraid to upset (respectfully, of course) the establishment. In an intellectual context, the agnostic should be open to questioning everything and hold on to that which is true.
My dad always told us do not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. Question authority. Even tho my parents were also raised Jewish they rarely practiced it except for the high holidays and to raise us. Dad was 100% atheist. Mom was the complete opposite and was a Pantheist. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. If I read more I'm pretty sure I'd like Buddhism but I'm not a fanatic about labeling myself.

My views tend to drive partisans crazy, and that's a good thing!

Many that try to put labels on agnostics usually do so to get people to focus on the label and not the arguments or views of the agnostic. It's a defense mechanism, in other words. I can't figure out this agnostic, therefore, it's easier to paint him or her as being on a side (usually the opposing side).