People like to complain that Republicans are making it harder for people to vote. But I think another issue is that it is also hard to run for a publicly elected office (i.e. mayor, governor, President) and I suspect that's by design. I'm thinking both parties have made it hard to run for a public office, especially if you're not part of the two dominant parties.

Let's debate this. Even if it doesn't turn into a good debate, this will at least be an interesting learning experience.

For debate:
1. Is it hard to run for an elected office?
2. Is it necessary for it to be that hard? Or is it by design? If by design, what are the intentions behind that?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
1. Is it hard to run for an elected office?
I'll tackle a national election like presidential elections. I would say it is difficult to run for office on that level because different states have different rules. I remember reading about the rapper Kanye trying to run for office and he talked about how hard it was. Here's one source on the process,
While it seems unlikely from the lack of paperwork and actual work put in thus far that West will legitimately run for office, if he does actually decide to, he’ll have a few administrative barriers to work around. To name a few, the rapper will have to a) register with the Federal Election Commission, b) present a campaign platform and c) collect enough signatures to get on the November ballot. Which is no easy feat. If candidates want to run as independents they need to file in individual states to have their names put on that state’s ballot, and West has already missed the deadline to file in six states, including North Carolina, Texas and New York. While Lebo says theoretically it’s still possible for a person to get themselves on the ballot in states that haven’t passed the filing deadline, “it takes more than just asking, ‘hey, can you put my name on the ballot?'” He says, “You need a number of signatures from people who want you on the ballot. Even in states where the [filing] deadlines haven’t passed, some of them are very soon; so he’d have to collect thousands and thousands of signatures in a few days in different states.”

And serious candidates, like an established governor or senator, would be thinking and planning for a presidential run years before it actually happens. “They’d start seriously laying the groundwork about two years before the election,” Lebo says of the process.
Source: Fashion (don't laugh at my choice of source as a lot of the information comes from a professor of political science, Matthew Lebo).

So, just the administrative process is a lot of work as you can see above. I'll try to find more information on the costs because it seems that you gotta have lots of money to run for national office - money to cover for your legal costs, advertising, paying for the administrative process, etc.

. Is it necessary for it to be that hard? Or is it by design? If by design, what are the intentions behind that?
Here's one perspective on that from The Hill:
Americans may want a viable independent to run for president, but that sentiment is not enough. The old adage “politics abhors a vacuum” is true, but vast obstacles make it incredibly arduous to fill the vacuum despite desire of a majority of Americans.

The reality imposed by the anti-democratic actions and rules imposed by the two-party duopoly is a formidable barricade to the success of such a candidacy.

The Democratic and Republican parties, with full malice and intent, have acted to create a rigged duopoly. Neither wants a third challenger, and both have actively colluded to prevent one from ever having a chance. The parties instinctively understand that their key to political power lies in making sure that the choice is between the lesser of two evils. One way is by making it nearly impossible for third-party candidates to compete for donations on a level playing field. Right after the 2014 midterms, the leaders of the Democratic and Republican parties in Congress met in secret and then changed the law so that individual donors giving to the two major party candidates could donate $834,000 per year in total contributions through their parties while those giving to independents were limited to just $2,700.

There are obstacles, too, at the state level. While Democratic and Republican parties are automatically put on the ballot, independents face different hurdles in all 50 states, including filing deadlines that are far too early, differing signature requirements, and other onerous regulations that make it difficult and costly to get on the ballot.

Then, there are the obstacles placed by the Federal Election Commission (FEC), which was established in the wake of Watergate to oversee the conduct of federal campaigns. That FEC has become the most notorious, ineffective, inefficient and corrupt of all federal agencies. It is composed of three super-partisan members – often undisputable political hacks – from each of the two major parties. Because every vote is potentially a tie, each side is able to stymie any meaningful enforcement or regulation of the electoral system and to protect its side from any tough political sanctions. In most cases, the two parties collude to protect the duopoly. The chance that a challenge by an independent or third-party will be considered on the merits is about as favorable as the chance an African-American had of passing a literacy test in my native South when I was a child.

But the worst blight on our democracy is the conduct by the unelected, unaccountable, secretive private organization called the Commission on Presidential Debates. The CPD was founded in 1987 to ensure that the final fall debates – three for the presidential candidates, beginning this year on Sept. 26, and one for the vice presidential contenders, on Oct. 9 – “provide the best possible information to viewers and listeners.” In truth, the CPD’s real agenda is to make that mission the great lie of American politics.

The true mission of the CPD is to deny independents and third-party candidates a national platform for their views and to their candidacies to be put before the American electorate. To make sure that the only two sanctioned choices are the nominees of the duopoly, the CPD is co-chaired by the former head of the Republican National Committee, Frank Fahrenkopf, and the former press secretary to President Bill Clinton, the Democratic activist Mike McCurry. Other board members are also party regulars and deep-pocketed donors. Some have been outspoken in their views that the CPD’s role is to perpetuate the hold the two parties have on our electoral system. As former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo) said when he was a commissioner: “If you like the multi-party system, then go to Sri Lanka and India and Indonesia.”

I think I've provided enough information in my last post to debate on here. Some might disagree on the validity of the details from my sources, or some might say that the process is warranted, even if difficult. Or some might say it's not the fault of the two parties, if they are afterall the ones in power and so we're left with no other choice other than it being them to make the rules.

Let’s suppose there was a center-left party with just 20 seats in the U.S. House, out of a total of 435 overall seats. This party usually caucuses with the Democrats.

However, this past January when Kevin McCarthy had to seemingly placate his far right in order to get a few lone votes.

Instead, this center-left party might have said, Hey, you know, we’re going to put country over party. We’ve going to spot you one and give you all 20 votes [or more realistically, maybe 18 out of 20].

We’re doing you a favor. And if later on down the road, you want to do us a favor, that’s fine. And if circumstances are such that you can’t realistically do us a favor, that’s okay, too.

And as a mirror image, maybe a center-right party in the House of Representatives with approximately 20 members.

Last edited:

mainly from the 1990s —

“ . . . A Gallup poll showed Perot with a slim lead; however, on July 19 [1992], he suspended his campaign, accusing Republican operatives of threatening to sabotage his daughter's wedding.He was accused by Newsweek of being a "quitter" in a well-publicized cover-page article. After resuming his campaign on October 1, Perot was dogged by the "quitter" moniker and other allegations concerning his character. On Election Day, many voters were confused as to whether Perot was actually still a candidate. He ended up receiving about 18.9 percent of the popular vote, a record level of popularity not seen in an independent candidate since former President Theodore Roosevelt ran on the "Bull Moose" Progressive Party ticket . . .”

Plus, Jesse Ventura was elected Governor of Minnesota in 1998 as a Reform Party candidate. I think he had a pretty successful 4-year term, although he made a conscious decision not to seek a second term.

But I don’t think the Reform Party put enough emphasis on city councils, state legislatures, and our U.S. Congress.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Plus, Jesse Ventura was elected Governor of Minnesota in 1998 as a Reform Party candidate. I think he had a pretty successful 4-year term, although he made a conscious decision not to seek a second term.

But I don’t think the Reform Party put enough emphasis on city councils, state legislatures, and our U.S. Congress.
I am not too familiar with Jesse Ventura's policy when he was Minnesota governor but I did like his independent spirit.

Now that you bring up local races, I think the way to make it easier to vote is if more independent candidates make it into local and state offices. That way they can change the laws themselves or at least have an influence. This would also get the American people more comfortable with having an independent candidate if they see one in action. Having one here and there, I mean aint gonna help much.