Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday signed a bill to dissolve Walt Disney World's private government, after the entertainment giant opposed a new state law critics have dubbed "Don't Say Gay."

The move could have huge tax implications for Disney, whose series of theme parks have transformed Orlando into one of the world's most popular tourist destinations, and serves to further sour the relationship between the Republican-led government and a major political player in the state.

The dispute with the company began with Disney's criticism of a new law barring instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade as well as instruction that is not "age appropriate or developmentally appropriate."

In March, Disney said it would suspend political donations in the state and added that it would in turn support organizations working to oppose the new law. DeSantis and his fellow Republicans then lashed out at Disney, and have defended the law as reasonable.

At the bill signing ceremony Friday, DeSantis said Disney lied about the content of the education law but that he viewed the company's vow to fight the law as unacceptable.

"You're a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you're gonna marshal your economic might to attack the parents of my state. We view that as a provocation, and we're going to fight back against that," DeSantis said.
Source: CBS News

What is Governor Ron DeSantis doing?

For Debate:
What's your reaction to the Florida governor going after Disney for opposing one of his legislative bills (Don't say Gay Bill)?

This might boil down to opinion, but does going after Disney accomplish anything positive for Florida residents? Is this good or bad action?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
In my view, Gov. DeSantis going after Disney is a bad idea because I view it as a form of trying to bully businesses into accepting government policy. I don't see anything wrong with any company opposing any piece of government legislation; it's not illegal, opposing doesn't mean that they'll succeed anyways. Now, I actually have some agreement to the original issue that started all of this, i.e. Disney opposing the "Don't Say Gay Bill", but there are different ways to handle those differences other than taking legislative action against your opponent.

Punishing Disney, as it appears Gov. DeSantis intended, will also lead to central Florida being punished?

Governor Ron DeSantis explains his decision...

Adding to my last post... here's an analysis where the speaker concludes that no one really knows if the taxes of Floridians will go up...

I think DeSantis has a money wager with Greg Abott to see whether Florida or Texas will become the most embarrassing State in the union. Next week's execution, if it takes place, will make Texas the landslide winner and Greg will have to hand over his stake money.

Disney is a prissy, goody two-shoes company, and besides that the prices are too high! [the perception]

DeSantis is picking a fight.

And actually it’s a better fight than going after gay kids or going after kids with gay or lesbian parents. What the heck’s wrong with the book, “Why Do I Have Two Mommies?” anyway? Nothing as far as I can see. Kids are very accepting of differences if they’re just explained to them. What kids are a lot less accepting of is meanness.

And yes, I think DeSantis is being mean in trying to scapegoat and/or treat as an other LGBTQ+ persons.

If the debate shifts to tax subsidies for corporations — here’s looking at you big stadium deals! — that’s probably a good thing.

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
. . . Next week's execution, if it takes place, will make Texas the landslide winner and . . .
Ouch.

I’ve lived in Texas most of my adult life, and we’re a good state in many ways. But not in the aspect of politicians pandering to the public on the subject of capital punishment being so great a deterrent,

which they’re able to do because many of my fellow citizens believe in capital punishment, in spite of:

Clarence Bradley, an African-American man released from death row around 1990, because he was in fact innocent.

Cameron Willingham was a white guy found guilty in 1992 and actually executed in 2004. The fire which killed his three young daughters was mostly likely caused by a space heater. And yet, the prosecutor had an “expert witness” who swore up and down that burn patterns showed an arson fluid [lore and legend, rather than science].

And Mike Morton was a middle-class white guy who served 20+ years on death row before being released in 2011, also an innocent man [his case brought some modest improvement in the conduct of DA’s]

So, if a middle-class white guy being wrongfully convicted is not enough to bring real reform,

what will?

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
MV5BOTA5ODk0MDM4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg5MzI5OA@@._V1_.jpg

a 2013 documentary about Michael Morton

but they needed to get Tom Hanks! (who’s often particularly good at playing the “every man” role)

Its just been announced that a Texas appeals court has ordered a stay of execution in order that the case be reviewed by a lower court. So there is now a chance that justice will prevail. It almost wants one to exclaim "Praise be the Lord" but then rational common sense takes over and normalcy returns.

Its just been announced that a Texas appeals court has ordered a stay of execution in order that the case be reviewed by a lower court.
The two-year-old child may have died from child abuse, or she may have had a medical condition which made bruising easier and more frequent.

The child fell down a flight of stairs, the parent(s) didn’t take her to the doctor and she died two days later. But. . rich people put off going to the doctor. Most people put off going to the doctor hoping they’ll get better [the alternative of hypochondria ain’t so great either]. We’ve built a system in which going to the doctor is difficult and a big deal. Instead of, for example, a lot of low-priced or free neighborhood clinics in which it’s easy to drop in on the way to work.

But all the same . . .

I don’t see the make-it-worse circumstances which are found in most death penalty cases [I’m pretty sure these are called aggravating circumstances].

Last edited: