Here's a new story that touches on a hot button issue, i.e. the second amendment being suspended in parts of New Mexico. Here's a brief sum up from AP:

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days in response to a spate of gun violence.

The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act because of recent shootings, including the death of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.

Lujan Grisham said state police would be responsible for enforcing what amount to civil violations. Albuquerque police Chief Harold Medina said he won’t enforce it, and Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen said he’s uneasy about it because it raises too many questions about constitutional rights.

The firearms suspension, classified as an emergency public health order, applies to open and concealed carry in most public places, from city sidewalks to urban recreational parks. The restriction is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates currently only met by the metropolitan Albuquerque. Police and licensed security guards are exempt from the temporary ban.

Violators could face civil penalties and a fine of up to $5,000, gubernatorial spokeswoman Caroline Sweeney said. Under the order, residents still can transport guns to some private locations, such as a gun range or gun store, provided the firearm has a trigger lock or some other container or mechanism making it impossible to discharge.

Lujan Grisham acknowledged not all law enforcement officials were on board with her decision.

For Debate:
1. What is your reaction to this story?
2. Do state governors have a right to suspend the right to carry guns in public?

I thought about including a question about banning guns and if that would reduce violent crime, but I think that would be a big topic by itself.

Reactions: bbyrd009
Bully for Lujan Grisham! Somebody had to step forward to thwart the gun violence in this country!

Why should she not have the right of trying to save unnecessary deaths -- it is her duty! The availability of rapid firing weapons is an effrontery to civilized citizens. Why Biden has not grown enlarged gonads the size of Bill Clinton's is a mystery to me -- the answer is so obvious.

Why should she not have the right of trying to save unnecessary deaths -- it is her duty! The availability of rapid firing weapons is an effrontery to civilized citizens.
I don't think Fox News is going to let her get away with that!

Democratic New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham is coming under fire from members of her own party after temporarily suspending open and concealed carry across Albuquerque under an emergency health order.

"I support gun safety laws. However, this order from the Governor of New Mexico violates the U.S. Constitution. No state in the union can suspend the federal Constitution. There is no such thing as a state public health emergency exception to the U.S. Constitution," California Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu tweeted.

Liberal gun control activist David Hogg responded to Lieu saying that he "agreed" that the order violates the Constitution, and followed up that Lujan Grisham’s reasoning for the temporary ban does not hold water.

"In a shocking move, Governor Lujan Grisham is suspending Second Amendment rights by administrative fiat, ignoring the US Constitution and the New Mexico Constitution. Instead of undermining the fundamental rights of law-abiding New Mexicans, she should address the soft-on-criminal policies which truly endanger its citizens," NRA-ILA Executive Director Randy Kozuch told Fox.
I think that's enough for you to get the point from the opposing side.

Another thing I'm wondering is if Albuquerqe is high crime with all the drive by shootings? I thought stuff like that wouldn't happen in New Mexico of all places.

I don't think Fox News is going to let her get away with that!

I think that's enough for you to get the point from the opposing side.

Another thing I'm wondering is if Albuquerqe is high crime with all the drive by shootings? I thought stuff like that wouldn't happen in New Mexico of all places.
ya, my sis has a house in Raton, which isnt that bad, but…rough place. Only id be encouraging open carry, not banning it

Here are some reporting from different perspectives:

NBC news perspective:

Fox News perspective:

CNN:

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
Cont'd from last post...here is perspective from NewsNation which tends to be judged being in the center:

I've tried to get what I think would be the two major sides reactions, and I must say that all sides have been mostly negative towards the governor's decision. In a sense, she took the law into her hands by playing the role of legislator and coming up with what she thought would be a fix to the gun violence problem. Not to mention she had other options. For instance she could have declared a state of emergency and called in the Feds, like the FBI, the military. I think that scenario happened during hurricane Katrina when they was rampant looting and other crime, shootouts in the hospitals over drugs, etc.

This is just my opinion or strategy, but imagine being dropped into an environment where some disaster happens, and then starts a massive wave of unlawfulness. I think in such a doomsday scenario you'd want a gun among other things.

Okay, she didn't think this thing through (like getting the DA, police chief and others on the same page before taking action). But she raises the debate about guns to a higher level. -- At least I hope so. We need all the ADULTS at the negotiating table!

My wife and I own 4-handguns, a rifle and a shotgun (she being ex-law enforcement). We plan on staying indoors during the next doomsday event -- considering migration to Canada where it is much, much safer.

AB said: "I think that's enough for you to get the point from the opposing side."

Yeah, without mentioning the money manipulating NRA who superimposes fear at every venue!

But she raises the debate about guns to a higher level. -- At least I hope so. We need all the ADULTS at the negotiating table!
Agreed. Whether or not anything comes out of the debate is left to be seen. Some say she actually might have hurt her cause. Either way, we have a more definitive answer to one of the debate questions,

Sept 13 (Reuters) - A federal judge in New Mexico on Wednesday issued a temporary restraining order against state Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s ban on carrying guns in Albuquerque and its surrounding county, on grounds it violated the U.S. constitution.

U.S. District Court Judge David Urias said the governor's 30-day suspension of concealed and open firearm carry rights went against recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings and violated the rights of law-abding citizens to defend themselves.
source: Reuters

ya, my sis has a house in Raton, which isnt that bad, but…rough place. Only id be encouraging open carry, not banning it
I thought of New Mexico as desert land. Shows how much I know.

Gun violence kills around 500 people a year in New Mexico, which ranks sixth among U.S. states for gun deaths per capita, according to gun violence prevention group Everytown for Gun Safety. Albuquerque is among the 10 most dangerous U.S. cities, based on FBI violent crime data.
Source: Reuters