I already have a rule that covers profanity and obscene content:
Please do not post any messages or information that contain spamming, advertising, plagiarism, obscene content, profanity, insults or negative comments directed at a person or group
Where it says "obscene content", I will add to that "obscene content/language". Examples of obscene language would be the obscene ones that refer to sexual anatomy, etc. I decided to include language in this rule because I don't want obscene language getting out of hand.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Not allowing people who swear is self limiting and represents immaturity. Inability to tolerate swears also makes your website 'less than'. You are denying an entire population a chance to join. SInce I swear all the time I'm less likely to post on here. Babies and children are free from swearing not adults. Limiting and childish. Shows proof of who's more intelligent than someone else.

Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence – Not Less – Say Scientists​

"By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task."

I'm finding this god/bible website less and less appealing. So I'm off like a prom dress.

Inability to tolerate swears also makes your website 'less than'. You are denying an entire population a chance to join.
The way I see it is that I would probably lose an audience either way. Allowing obscenities/profanity would offend some and this group will not want to engage here. Not allowing offensive language might turn off those who like to express themselves using colorful language.

Either way, with me it's not just a matter of the audience/member numbers, but instead it's a matter of principle. I want to see a civil/clean intelligent exchange between members. Even in areas where there will be more casual convo, I still want it to be civil/clean.

"By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task."
Correlation maybe? :)

The way I see it is that I would probably lose an audience either way. Allowing obscenities/profanity would offend some and this group will not want to engage here. Not allowing offensive language might turn off those who like to express themselves using colorful language.

Either way, with me it's not just a matter of the audience/member numbers, but instead it's a matter of principle. I want to see a civil/clean intelligent exchange between members. Even in areas where there will be more casual convo, I still want it to be civil/clean.

Correlation maybe? :)
I swear like a truck driver. I worked mostly at gas stations and construction sites so in order not to be offended I kept up with the language and besides that I'm (apparently) wicked intelligent.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
I support this rule because I’ve seen sports sites that just get littered with profanity.

I do have this question: Is there an exception for occasional quotes from historical figures?
Yes, but still with some censors. Here's from my main Guidelines page:

No profanity. The only exception is if you are quoting someone and even then you should censor some of the word. Like for the F word use F*** or something along those lines.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur