Jesus never married while He walked this earth, but Jesus is betrothed to a bride. The church proper is referred to as the Bride of Christ.
I believe a person can live without sex in the sense that they won't die if they don't get it, but make no mistake about it, we have a very strong drive to have sex. It's practically a necessity for many, men and women alike. As I think Lemur alluded to in an earlier post, those that don't get it tend to let it build up and probably express it in ways that they shouldn't or go farther than what someone who ordinarily has sex would go. I think this is part of the problem with expecting celibacy among Catholic priests.

As I think Lemur alluded to in an earlier post, those that don't get it tend to let it build up and probably express it in ways that they shouldn't or go farther than what someone who ordinarily has sex would go. I think this is part of the problem with expecting celibacy among Catholic priests.
Yes, I agree. Even God said it is not good for man to be alone.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Ah yes, I forgot about the thought crimes and I'm not being sarcastic in anyway.
a zen site talks about this.

If my big goal not to think about monkeys all day, that’s pretty much the only thing I’m going to able to think about ! ! ! :D

and without this, I probably wouldn’t think about monkeys very much

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
those that don't get it tend to let it build up and probably express it in ways that they shouldn't or go farther than what someone who ordinarily has sex would go.
Actually, I don’t agree with this hydraulic model. I prefer the zen approach that a feeling will rise like the ocean but also fall like the ocean.

Most people in fact all not all that religious.

But really devout Christians will twist themselves into a pretzel. For example, if I was dating a woman with an attractive 15-year-old, I might just tell her, yeah, she’s a real hottie, no question.

I’m probably also helped by the fact that I’ve always like older women. For example, when I was in high school, some of the most attractive females — by far! — were some of the teachers.

Anyway, back to the subject of trying to control your own thoughts, the Catholics have a word for a type of OCD worrying about sin. I think the word is scrupulosity.

I’ll put in my thinking cap about where Jesus may have advocated celibacy. He was unmarried.
Jesus never married while He walked this earth, but Jesus is betrothed to a bride. The church proper is referred to as the Bride of Christ.
I think there’s one part where Jesus said that if want to follow me, you have to hate your mother and father. He may have used the word forsake. But in either case, it was pretty hardcore.

And then, Jesus was giving a teaching, and was told his mother and brothers were waiting to talk with him. Maybe they felt he was taking his whole ministry way too far. And he refused to come out and meet them.

I think there’s one part where Jesus said that if want to follow me, you have to hate your mother and father. He may have used the word forsake. But in either case, it was pretty hardcore.

And then, Jesus was giving a teaching, and was told his mother and brothers were waiting to talk with him. Maybe they felt he was taking his whole ministry way too far. And he refused to come out and meet them.
The above is preferential treatment. Jesus was teaching that we are to prefer Him over any others. He was also teaching that His true family are those who place their faith in Him.

This isn’t celibacy though. I’m afraid your claim that Jesus advocated for celibacy has no Biblical support. Many times people repeat things that they are told is in the Bible, when in reality they are not.

The above is preferential treatment. Jesus was teaching that we are to prefer Him over any others.
I think this is how a mature Christian might look at it, and just a mature person in general.

But it’s not what Luke 14: 26 says. In particular, this verse uses the word “hate.”

Luke, chapter 14 —

23 “Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full. 24 I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.’”

25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?

=======

Jesus says people should abandon their families and follow him. In what sounds like, from other passages of Jesus talking, an end-time religious movement.

And I have placed it in context.

Last edited:
in its God-given context of one man and one woman

leah_zilpah_rachel_bilhah_gallery.jpg

These 12 male children became the leaders of the 12 tribes of Israel. With the interesting side story of Judah and Israel splitting down the road.

So, what biblical principle of one man and one woman ? ! ?

Certainly not in the Old Testament.

=============

In the New Testament . . .

Jesus seems to advocate celibacy a lot. Plus, I think Paul was unmarried and said it’s better to marry than burn. Meaning, marriage is second best.

And then, there’s the absence of the positive.

Nowhere does Jesus say, husbands and wives, be considerate of each other. Hold back a harsh word etc , etc.

For example, Jesus could have said, your wife has dealt all day with children and that’s enough to drive anyone crazy. But he didn’t.

Jesus could have said, your husband has been out in the world, maybe someone has tried to cheat him, perhaps even someone he thought was a friend. But he didn’t.
In Matthew 19:4–6 Jesus quotes from Gen. 2:24 to show that from the very beginning God’s plan was for one man and one woman. The fact that Jacob fathered 12 kids with four different women does not mean that was God’s plan any more than Cain killing Able was God’s plan.

Where exactly did Jesus advocate celibacy?
And we both missed it!

Yes, there were 12 male children. However, Leah also gave birth to a daughter named Dinah.

20 Then Leah said, “God has presented me with a precious gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor, because I have borne him six sons.” So she named him Zebulun.

21 Some time later she gave birth to a daughter and named her Dinah.

========

And I’m going to guess that if an extended family has 12 male children, there’s an 80 percent chance they have at least 7 daughters ? ?

Last edited: