A lot of Christians are politically involved when it comes to voting. But I wonder if there's a conflict voting for someone who is not a Christian.

For instance, is it okay for Christians to vote for an atheist or a gay person? Why or why not?

My first guess is that Christians would be against that.

Last edited:
As a Christian, I vote for people who most closely align with the Bible. I don’t understand how people who call themselves Christians can knowingly vote for someone living in open rebellion against God. I am a staunch conservative but I could never vote for someone like George Santos. My personal relationship with Jesus is much more important than my political affiliation.

As a Christian, I vote for people who most closely align with the Bible. I don’t understand how people who call themselves Christians can knowingly vote for someone living in open rebellion against God. I am a staunch conservative but I could never vote for someone like George Santos. My personal relationship with Jesus is much more important than my political affiliation.
I appreciate your perspective. I've heard a lot of pastors that venture into politics advocate for one candidate or another.

My take is that there's no perfect candidate, whether it's considering religious affiliation or other qualities. Your standard would probably be the most reasonable because it's practical. If a Christian is looking for a good Christian politician, then who follows the Bible consistently in terms of policy, then those days might be over. I think former VP Mike Pence came the closest in our modern day.

The days of Christian politicians are dwindling. There are still a few like Mike Johnson the current Speaker of the House. As a conservative Christian my choice is sometimes choosing the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
The days of Christian politicians are dwindling. There are still a few like Mike Johnson the current Speaker of the House. As a conservative Christian my choice is sometimes choosing the lesser of two evils.
I'm not a Christian. I am an independent (unaffiliated with any political party), and I often feel like I'm choosing the lesser of 2 evils.

SO I take it then you don't follow the advice of those pastors that tell people to not vote because you need to resist all evil. I think that would be impractical, and I question if even the Bible prohibits that when it comes to government. Or another way I've looked at it is that you can vote for a person while not agreeing with all of their policies. Then you can actively try to push for the policies that align with your beliefs while going against those (from your candidate of choice) that you disagree with. I think that approach would leave Christians in good standing with their Bible and faith.

I’ve never been presented with two candidates so bad that I couldn’t choose one. It’s unusual to have a conservative candidate who supports abortion and gay marriage.