For popular or very good threads
SVA, I seriously disagree! My suicidal thoughts of my youth were only mitigated when I dropped the baggage of religion. My mother committed suicide and she was religious. Her sister died in a mental institution and she was religious.

This is all spelled out in my brief self-help book, "Are You a Stranger Lost in Your Head?" Therein I philosophize about a happy life without religion, giving succinct philosophical details and suggestions.

SVA, I seriously disagree! My suicidal thoughts of my youth were only mitigated when I dropped the baggage of religion. My mother committed suicide and she was religious. Her sister died in a mental institution and she was religious.

This is all spelled out in my brief self-help book, "Are You a Stranger Lost in Your Head?" Therein I philosophize about a happy life without religion, giving succinct philosophical details and suggestions.
Agreed. If Swami V. is trying to paint a simple distinction of atheists being suicidal and religionists are not then I disagree with that for the reasons you mentioned. I do think though, that religions have more to work with to make people live purposeful lives. A lot of it is probably based on unproven or even false premises, but it still works. Many believe in it.

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
Agreed. If Swami V. is trying to paint a simple distinction of atheists being suicidal and religionists are not then I disagree with that for the reasons you mentioned. I do think though, that religions have more to work with to make people live purposeful lives. A lot of it is probably based on unproven or even false premises, but it still works. Many believe in it.
Yeah, too many believe in it, just like too many believe in Trump's lies -- many of the latter are religious believers! They find solace in the fuzzy blanket of security it affords. Lies told over and over become truth to these susceptible people.

To those of religion facts are secondary to faith. It is nigh time to call a spade a spade -- to tell it like it is. It's coming -- very slowly -- but it is coming. 400-hundred years ago there were no atheists or agnostics because they were all burned. Today there are too many to burn -- the fires are almost gone with just a few remaining in theocratic countries.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
I think of happiness like a friend. Everyone has happiness just as everyone has friends. You will find that not all are true friends and not all happiness is true happiness. True friends are around through the good and hard times and bad friends are not. True happiness is around through good and hard times but superficial happiness is not.

Again I ask, what real happiness can materialism provide? Those that have lived a materialistic lifestyle will tell you that it is not a good friend. 🙏

Swami:

If you are referring to materialism as facts (matter and energy being all), then I guess I am a materialist. Or are you referring to materialism as being the acquisition of expensive toys to be put on display to impress others?

I can tell you that my wife and I live very simply, not desiring any more travel, having but one car (Hybrid), and being conservative of our consumption of natural resources.

Spirituality may work for you and others, but we find it unfulfilling and a drain of our valuable time. After all, one must first believe in spirits; we have left that quadrant well back in the past millennium.

Meditation is another thing. I find it deeply relaxing -- more than enlightening -- a state of contentment, luxuriating in my existence!
10 mg of melatonin OTC, a naturally occurring chemical in our younger years, taken before bedtime helps mediate bad or "at work" dreams, turning them into more enjoyable ones. I switch taking a tablet, on and off, as dreams morph from positive to negative. I understand that it is also a good sleep aid though I've never had any problem with sleeping.

Last edited:
@2Dbunk1: If you are referring to materialism as facts (matter and energy being all), then I guess I am a materialist. Or are you referring to materialism as being the acquisition of expensive toys to be put on display to impress others?

Swami responds: Materialism as facts and materialism as acquisition of things are connected. They are both based on placing objects in high regard. I regard both as idolatry.

@2Dbunk1: I can tell you that my wife and I live very simply, not desiring any more travel, having but one car (Hybrid), and being conservative of our consumption of natural resources.

Swami responds: You are already living out spirituality or very close to it. Jesus also said to get rid of your belongings and live a simple life.🙏

Keep in mind that I am not here to convince you. My main point is that happiness should not be based on "things" or anything external to self. True happiness comes from within. It is part of being alive and aware.

Reactions: 2Dbunk1
I admire your last sentence, and I answer your post: that embracing spirituality is not necessary to finding inner peace and happiness.

Last edited: