Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

Washington(CNN)President Donald Trump announced on Twitter Monday [Nov. 9, 2020] that he has fired Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, and that Christopher Miller, who serves as director of the National Counterterrorism Center, will become acting secretary "effective immediately."

The President jettisoned Esper two days after his Democratic opponent Joe Biden wasprojected as the winner of the presidential election, a conclusion that Trump has refused to accept.

Esper's increasingly tense relationship with Trump led him to prepare a letter of resignation weeks ago, an attempt to fashion a graceful exit in the widely expected event that the President decided to fire him, . . .
Maybe Trump was going to fire him anyway, but still . . .

Not good.

It probably should be hardwired in that a president cannot fire a major Dept. Head — a major member of the Cabinet — when the president is a lame duck.

And since people at our forum are very bright, I can already hear the counter-examples— What if the Dept. Head. has a psychotic break, or gets arrested with a pound of crystal meth?

Well, it can be hardwired in that a lame duck president can fire a Secretary of Defense [or similar] but only with the approval of appropriate committees in Congress. In this case, it would be the House Armed Services Committee AND the Senate Committee on Armed Services.

————————

* I’m in favor of multiple steps. I’m not in favor of requiring supermajorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
It probably should be hardwired in that a president cannot fire a major Dept. Head — a major member of the Cabinet — when the president is a lame duck.
I agree. Correct me if Im wrong, but you're thinking he was getting rid of those in his cabinet that would resist, and doing so would make it easier to carry out his plans. I bet he wish he could've replaced VP Mike Pence at the last minute.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
getting rid of those in his cabinet that would resist, and doing so would make it easier to carry out his plans. I bet he wish he could've replaced VP Mike Pence at the last minute.
Absolutely.

It was a transparent coup attempt. And from Trump’s perspective, duly elected Vice-President Michael Pence was very much a fly in the ointment.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy