My theory is that politicians are driven by money and power. I think a lot of people would actually agree with that. Things but I would add one thing further, which is that a lot a lot of the values that they publicly advocate for is just a pretense, or it is secondary to power and money. I believe this theory because politicians tend to follow their values selectively and the times that I find them following it is when it would benefit their group.

Just think of the times when Republicans have done things wrong and Democrats are quick to jump on them, while those same Democrats wouldn't jump on another Democrat for doing the same thing. Another scenario is one party being against something when it does it benefit their side but being for it when it does. The latest concrete example are the Democrats leadership that complains about voter suppression but then tries to suppress the no label party from being on the ballot (that of course would limit the voters options). I think I've even heard politicians and even mainstream media networks accusing and opposing party or network of not condemning something that would have otherwise been condemned had the other party done it. So I think politicians even acknowledge that selective and hypocritical behavior does happen in politics.

Is the theory above valid? If not, then please offer your explanation or theory for selective and/or hypocritical behavior among politicians.
* I think my theory is a systemic problem and that it is rooted in our political system, but I don't deny that there are some politicians that try to remain honest and good.