I posted this in the Article section of the forum. I'll also post it here so anyone can offer their reactions or questions...

I have written many times on the meaning of agnosticism, but I haven't focused much on why it was coined or its purpose. I think getting into the purpose of agnosticism would help people better understand it. To most people, agnosticism is just a position of uncertainty that also challenges those that claim to know God exists and those that claim no God exists. This is in line with the current dictionaries and at least one of Thomas Huxley's statements on his agnosticism,
"Some twenty years ago, or thereabouts, I invented the word "Agnostic" to denote people who, like myself, confess themselves to be hopelessly ignorant concerning a variety of matters, about which metaphysicians and theologians, both orthodox and heterodox, dogmatise with the utmost confidence;" (1)

However, if we look at some of Huxley's other statements, instead of just one in isolation, we find that what he really was against was 'dogmatism'. For those not familiar with the term, dogmatism involves treating beliefs as if they were true, and oftentimes in a close-minded way. The Church would oftentimes treat their religious beliefs that way, and some atheists would also treat their philosophical beliefs that way. Dogmatism boils down to being unwarranted certainty. In response to this, Huxley advocated for principles that would counteract dogmatism, such as being open-minded, freethinking, non-partisan, etc (hence, the themes of this forum).

So in short, the goal of agnosticism was to be a position against dogmatism or unwarranted certainty (as opposed to being uncertain about everything). When dogmatic individuals or groups tend to be close-minded and regard their views as unquestionable, Huxley counters that with being open-minded. Where dogmatic people elevate their beliefs and ideologies, Huxley counters that with freethinking or with only being certain towards views that are backed by logic and science. Where dogmatist try to rely on authority, power, or some established orthodoxy, Huxley counteracts that by being non-partisan (this is more implied going by his actions to steer away from labels or "ists" of all kinds).

Sources
1. Huxley, Thomas. Agnosticism: A Symposium. The Agnostic Annual, (1884).

Feel free to offer any reactions, thoughts, questions........

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Dbunk1
My first thought is thata gnosticism can be applied to politics. I say this because all of the dogmatic thinking and attitudes we find in religion can also be found there. Politicians express their views as if it they are some dire truth. They try to shun their opponents by demonizing them (equivalent to the labels religionists attach to their opponents like "infidel"), etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009
I posted this in the Article section of the forum. I'll also post it here so anyone can offer their reactions or questions...

I have written many times on the meaning of agnosticism, but I haven't focused much on why it was coined or its purpose. I think getting into the purpose of agnosticism would help people better understand it. To most people, agnosticism is just a position of uncertainty that also challenges those that claim to know God exists and those that claim no God exists. This is in line with the current dictionaries and at least one of Thomas Huxley's statements on his agnosticism,
"Some twenty years ago, or thereabouts, I invented the word "Agnostic" to denote people who, like myself, confess themselves to be hopelessly ignorant concerning a variety of matters, about which metaphysicians and theologians, both orthodox and heterodox, dogmatise with the utmost confidence;" (1)

However, if we look at some of Huxley's other statements, instead of just one in isolation, we find that what he really was against was 'dogmatism'. For those not familiar with the term, dogmatism involves treating beliefs as if they were true, and oftentimes in a close-minded way. The Church would oftentimes treat their religious beliefs that way, and some atheists would also treat their philosophical beliefs that way. Dogmatism boils down to being unwarranted certainty. In response to this, Huxley advocated for principles that would counteract dogmatism, such as being open-minded, freethinking, non-partisan, etc (hence, the themes of this forum).

So in short, the goal of agnosticism was to be a position against dogmatism or unwarranted certainty (as opposed to being uncertain about everything). When dogmatic individuals or groups tend to be close-minded and regard their views as unquestionable, Huxley counters that with being open-minded. Where dogmatic people elevate their beliefs and ideologies, Huxley counters that with freethinking or with only being certain towards views that are backed by logic and science. Where dogmatist try to rely on authority, power, or some established orthodoxy, Huxley counteracts that by being non-partisan (this is more implied going by his actions to steer away from labels or "ists" of all kinds).

Sources
1. Huxley, Thomas. Agnosticism: A Symposium. The Agnostic Annual, (1884).

Feel free to offer any reactions, thoughts, questions........
when you get the connection to manna, “What is it?” :)

and maybe i couldnt comment on the others bc they were in the article section?

when you get the connection to manna, “What is it?”
What do you mean by manna?

Also, I just enabled comments in the ARticles section, but it will only work for new articles posted after today.

"Some twenty years ago, or thereabouts, I (Huxley) invented the word "Agnostic" to denote people who, like myself, confess themselves to be hopelessly ignorant concerning a variety of matters, about which metaphysicians and theologians, both orthodox and heterodox, dogmatise with the utmost confidence;" (1)

However, if we look at some of Huxley's other statements, instead of just one in isolation, we find that what he really was against was 'dogmatism'. For those not familiar with the term, dogmatism involves treating beliefs as if they were true, and oftentimes in a close-minded way.

"Theocracy is that study of the unknown, with the most infinitesimal exactitude?" is a favorite quote that I thought was attributed to Anatole France but now I'm not sure of. Anyway, it pretty much sums up theocracy.

Another favorite: a bumper sticker that said "My Karma ran over your dogma"

manna being what the wanderers ate in the Sinai for forty years
Got it.
Hungry Maple Syrup GIF