William

Novice Mystic
Jun 9, 2021
Te Waipounamu
jig.nz
Worldview

We Exist Within A Creation [WEWAC]

It appears that "Weak Agnosticism" can lean toward being atheist or theist.

Q: Is it fair then, to understand that "Strong Agnosticism" is neither theistic nor atheistic, as it leans neither way - rather it stands strongly as its own position unique to those other positions?

Reactions: Data
Definitions...
There are important distinctions between different types of agnosticism, with ‘weak agnosticism’ stating that one doesn't know that God exists, and ‘strong agnosticism’ stating that one cannot know that God exists.

I agree that agnosticism is a unique position but it's not unique in the sense of being a third option between atheism and theism. When it comes to belief, which both atheism and theism cover, you either have someone that believes, or someone that lacks belief, or someone that believes that no God exists. Agnosticism is compatible with all three options in that someone can say they believe or don't believe while also claiming to not know if their belief is valid or not.

If people are looking to distinguish agnosticism from theism and atheism, then it's probably better to go beyond just the definitions of the words, and also include common characteristics that tend to be associated with each of those sides. We could look at how each side tends to think and deal with claims.. which would likely show how agnostics are perceived as more moderate compared to atheist and theist. I think that's a big factor that can be used to distinguish agnosticism from atheism in theism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Data
If people are looking to distinguish agnosticism from theism and atheism, then it's probably better to go beyond just the definitions of the words, and also include common characteristics that tend to be associated with each of those sides.

I think a characteristic of being a strong agnostic is that such a position can be used in other conversations not directly related to questions and claims of theism or atheism.

If people are looking to distinguish agnosticism from theism and atheism, then it's probably better to go beyond just the definitions of the words, and also include common characteristics that tend to be associated with each of those sides.

I think a characteristic of being a strong agnostic is that such a position can be used in other conversations not directly related to questions and claims of theism or atheism.
Do you mean it can apply to other topics besides theism and atheism? I agree with that, but I suspect it might be for different reasons than your view.

It's not secret that I'm a practicing and passionate agnostic, and I started to feel just a year or two ago that it was meant to be or could be applied beyond theism and atheism. To my surprise, I have found some very good justification for that and I think it will set agnostics free or at least give them a way to get off the fence..

Reactions: William
I tend toward Theism, (we exist within something created) largely due to personal experience and having spent large amounts of time hearing atheists/materialists offer arguments which more often than not, reduce the human experience to an irrelevant point of a thing.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy