AB says:
There is a lot of evil in the world. Some might argue that some might deserve whatever bad that happens to them, but then there are good people who suffer evil, as well. Many would look at good people suffering as being senseless evil.

Why isn't this problem of evil enough to convince you that no God exist?

My answer:
Because there are so many other reasons! The problem of evil is just one:

1. There are over 30,000 "true" forms of X-inanity out there. How does someone differentiate?
2. If God was the designer of all the races, how could he not see that the resulting Black/White dichotomy was a very unproductive choice?
3. The X-tian God is too self-centered: to wit, the first four Commandments are all about Him.
4. He got the value of pi wrong.
5. Atheists are more likely not to rob you, or kill you, or tell you a bunch of falsehoods. So the Bible is wrong in Psalm 14 where it says "atheists can do no good."
6. The world does not have four corners as the Bible says.
7. The earth revolves around the sun, not vice versa.
8. Doing good to get into heaven is one thing; but to go so far as to require "Believe in me or else . . ." is blackmail.
9. He is admittedly jealous and revengeful. They teach against those things, even in Sunday school.

I could go on but I think you have the picture.

The things you point out are centered on the Abrahamic idea of 'God' and showing 'mistakes' therein. All religions have mistakes attached to their images of 'God' and I see no reason to dismiss the overall idea of GOD simply based upon human misinformation.
I think that consciousness is the fundamental reality, rather than the material universe.
This means that I think that the material universe is an emergent property of consciousness, and that this "Cosmic Mind" is what is often referred to as 'God', even given that religion in it's imagery is misinformed/misinforms.

• Insightful
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
AB says:
There is a lot of evil in the world. Some might argue that some might deserve whatever bad that happens to them, but then there are good people who suffer evil, as well. Many would look at good people suffering as being senseless evil.

My answer:
Because there are so many other reasons! The problem of evil is just one:

1. There are over 30,000 "true" forms of X-inanity out there. How does someone differentiate?
2. If God was the designer of all the races, how could he not see that the resulting Black/White dichotomy was a very unproductive choice?
3. The X-tian God is too self-centered: to wit, the first four Commandments are all about Him.
4. He got the value of pi wrong.
5. Atheists are more likely not to rob you, or kill you, or tell you a bunch of falsehoods. So the Bible is wrong in Psalm 14 where it says "atheists can do no good."
6. The world does not have four corners as the Bible says.
7. The earth revolves around the sun, not vice versa.
8. Doing good to get into heaven is one thing; but to go so far as to require "Believe in me or else . . ." is blackmail.
9. He is admittedly jealous and revengeful. They teach against those things, even in Sunday school.

I could go on but I think you have the picture.
You misread the question. I wasn't looking for reasons why God does not exist, but rather I was asking about the reasons someone would have to still hold out hope or a belief that one exists given the problem of evil (and even given all of the reasons you mentioned). This question would apply to plenty of agnostics.

To borrow from some of 2DBunk's logic (but towards a different conclusion), I would say the reason that the problem of evil is not enough for me to rule out God's existence is because there are other reasons to that have not been ruled out. What William brings up is one of them.

I question if there's other intelligent life out there, and I mean one greater than our own. In fact, I believe we would be looked at as gods if we went back in time. Some of the Christian arguments about the origin of the Universe are not fullproof, but sometimes it does lead me to wonder what could have existed before the Big Bang.

Chapabel said "Well, Jesus said He would return. The angels said He would return. John received the Revelation of Jesus and saw Him return. I believe there is enough evidence that He will return. Since Jesus is God, and God cannot lie, I accept His return as truth."

And since that all comes from the bible, it must be true. Who the heck needs evidence when presented with an unassailable truth?

Reactions: AgnosticBoy