There is a lot of evil in the world. Some might argue that some might deserve whatever bad that happens to them, but then there are good people who suffer evil, as well. Many would look at good people suffering as being senseless evil.

Why isn't this problem of evil enough to convince you that no God exist?

For a Christian or religious person, the question would be why hold on to belief. But for an agnostic or atheist, it would be why hold on to the hope or possibility that a God exists. I fit into the latter camp.

I guess my reasons are that materialism/naturalism are boring. I would hope that there is something more out there. Then again, I also don't believe that God has to be all-good but I'd at least expect for God to have better morals than us.

Reactions: 2Dbunk
There is a lot of evil in the world. Some might argue that some might deserve whatever bad that happens to them, but then there are good people who suffer evil, as well. Many would look at good people suffering as being senseless evil.

It doesn’t persuade me because, while I do think there is something real and important that supports God belief in our species, I don’t think it is anything like a unified being out there somewhere with subjective experience like our own. I think that is what the vast majority of Christians think God is like, and in my experience they often are troubled by the inconsistency between who God is & what He is able to do on the one hand and how the world is on the other.

I'm torn. I feel like a lot of evil exists because we make it exist. God or no God. Natural disasters can be blamed on God, but the sick things that could come from a human is worse than anything else. Part of me questions why would a God make us capable of being horrible creatures, but the other part of me likes the possibilities that come with choice because even with all the evil in the world, there's still some good.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
@quietchick

When I was a Christian, my first response to the argument from evil was that it was strong. But when I thought about it more, instead of just in the moment, I also became torn. Even as an agnostic now, I still feel this way. I definitely accept that there are some good things about religion/spirituality so maybe that plays a role in my reaction to not accept the strong atheist side. Atheism doesn't seem any better equipped for living in a world full of evil.

What I presently think is that the problem isn't good or evil, but human perceptions based upon that dualism.

We have made evil a problem through identifying 'it' but of course, stepping back and observing how the dueling sides interact, one can see that it is more about one mans treasure being another mans trash.

"God" is just an idea which came through that process god=good and devil = evil.

I think any mind behind creation would not see things in the same way that we - encased as we are in flesh - see things. The experience of joy and pain could be something we accept as par for the course and willingly experience because we are curious....

There is definitely evil in the world. But the evil in the world comes from humans who refuse to follow God. God, in His grace, bestowed onto men free will. It is man's free will to sin that has plunged this world in evil.

There is definitely evil in the world. But the evil in the world comes from humans who refuse to follow God. God, in His grace, bestowed onto men free will. It is man's free will to sin that has plunged this world in evil.
While this is possibly true - it is not clear whether 'God' in this case, is simply the imagery represented by a religion and its holy book - or something else entirely - or perhaps a mix of both/all.

Gods made up by human imagination will have the accompanying imagery associated with human beliefs about good and evil, but those things are extremely difficult to pin down re exactness. They appear to shift and morph, depending upon human created factors....much of it remains in the grey area - even the idea of free will hasn't been firmly proven to be correct...it is more a case of being free to choose within the circumstance/confines of the physical universe/human form, but - in that - nature appears neutral - even when deified. The elementals are not really acting out good or evil...they just are being as intended, if indeed the universe was created for a purpose.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
There would be no evil in the world at all, if mankind followed Gods laws and principles.