Here's another one:
Be open to talking about the negatives or positives of any side, including your side.

In my experience, when people start up a convo on politics, they simply start by bashing one side. I have a coworker or two that always bring up the problems of just one side, and it's said with such confidence and boldness (almost as if they presume that you'll agree with them). Given that attitude, it makes you question how open they are to talking about the problems of their own party.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Ben Franklin was a good example of non-partisanship. He ran interference between John Adams and John Dickinson in the runup to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He was a pragmatist of the first order.

There are few other examples that I can think of, especially in U. S. presidents. Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind, Quincy Adams, Dwight Eisenhour. The first two teed people off, the last was inappropriately labeled a "do nothing president." General Marshal's another good example, named by Truman to initiate the Marshall Plan (Truman recognized that he was too partisan to get a "Truman Plan" through Congress).

We need to find and elect individuals like the above in order to get this nation back on track!

We need to find and elect individuals like the above in order to get this nation back on track!
Right on. I find it troubling that it's becoming more common to have gridlocks in Congress when it comes to passing legislation. It's also troubling that we can't even get some of the most popular proposals (having overwhelming public support) passed into law.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Right on. I find it troubling that it's becoming more common to have gridlocks in Congress when it comes to passing legislation. It's also troubling that we can't even get some of the most popular proposals (having overwhelming public support) passed into law.

I often wondered if a parliamentary system, like they have in the UK, might work better for the USA. I like the idea of a "no confidence vote" if a leader loses his edge or gets too radical. The way it is now, partisan politics is way out of control and the wild ones or dead wood can only be removed in 2, 4 or 6 years -- too long to wait in my estimation.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Here is a longer video of the exchange on abortion that I posted in the OP... It was meant to be an example of how partisan convos turn out...

AgnosticBoy,

What do you mean "convos?" I guess you mean convocations. It seems there is no middle ground anymore -- everyone is talking over each other, right up to the presidential debates. Take note of the worst offenders, and then in good conscience go and cast your vote.

Maybe there is no middle ground when it comes to abortion -- the woman is either pregnant or she isn't. But if this is still a free country, she should be able to make the decision herself -- it's her body -- her future! Be damned the clergy and the politicians! If there is a god, then maybe she will be punished along with the fellow who seduced her (but I don't think that will happen -- not even with the
x-tian god).

We are not an endangered species last I took note. With over seven-billion people on this planet don't pro-lifers think that is plenty enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
AgnosticBoy,

What do you mean "convos?" I guess you mean convocations.
Convo is short for conversation.

It seems there is no middle ground anymore -- everyone is talking over each other, right up to the presidential debates. Take note of the worst offenders, and then in good conscience go and cast your vote.

Maybe there is no middle ground when it comes to abortion -- the woman is either pregnant or she isn't. But if this is still a free country, she should be able to make the decision herself -- it's her body -- her future! Be damned the clergy and the politicians! If there is a god, then maybe she will be punished along with the fellow who seduced her (but I don't think that will happen -- not even with the
x-tian god).

We are not an endangered species last I took note. With over seven-billion people on this planet don't pro-lifers think that is plenty enough?
(Puts on my Christian Fundamentalist hat)...The Bible says to be fruitful and multiply. (Takes off hat).

Last edited:
Convo is short for conversation.

(Puts on my Christian Fundamentalist hat)...The Bible says to be fruitful and multiply. (Takes off hat).

Burn that hat! This whole issue about abortion has been the drum-beat of religious fanatics, manufacturing that issue out of thin air. The Bible doesn't comment on it. Sure, life is precious -- all life is precious, but why limit struggling women's potential with archaic, fanatical blather about the sanctity of life when we show less respect for other forms of life.