Having different political views used to not be a big deal. It used to be that only being against Christianity was a dividing line for people. But now politics has become the new religion in that people get stirred up over differing political views. I've had Facebook friends unfriend others or threaten to do so because of differing political views/parties.

What do you think is causing this divide? I don't think it's the differing views or political parties because those have always been in place but yet we didn't use to divide over it.

Thoughts?!

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
I think you make a heck of a good point that politics is “electric” in the way religion used to be.

I think one aspect is that Democrats view Republicans as “stupid,” and one the other side of the coin, the R’s view the D’s as “weak.”

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Good point Lemur. Part of my goal here is to also find ways that people can have these types of conversations without getting at each other's throats. Identifying the problems or causes of the divisions helps with that.

I think part of the problem is that we have become a "cancel" culture, literally-speaking. We cancel each other when we don't like what we have to say when it comes to politics. Thankfully, that's not allowed here on this forum.:) Otherwise, we'd never be able to have a conversation and I'd be out of business.

I think another cause of division is that the general population are taking some of their cues from politicians. The general population itself are becoming politicized in that we're engaging in the same behavior that politicians tend to engage in. It's one thing to have a political view, but it's another thing to engage in political behavior, and unfortunately the latter is happening.

However, one key difference between us and politicians is that the political behavior of politicians tends to be contrived. In other words, they know how to cause divide, and find ways to use it against their opponent in order to win an election. In our case (general population), political behavior is likely done by a lot of people naturally (since we're not running for election) thinking that that is the way to go. As an example of all of this, we can say that politicians may deliberately inject race, morality, or some other emotive-evoking factor into discussion just to inflame the issue and create divisions. We just play out the result of that by dividing over issues, labelling each other racist, bigots, evil, etc. I can't call the latter group doing it contrived because I've seen friends engage in political behavior with other friends and even with family.

I think one way we can keep from dividing over differing political views is to remember our similar interests starting at the basic level. We all want good jobs, a good house, a good life, etc. We might also agree on a lot of moral standards, family values, etc. Don't define or judge each other based only on a view, esp. when views are not illegal unless it involves threats of harm.

* I define political behavior as mostly the negative or underhanded behaviors/tactics that politicians tend to engage in, like engaging in spin, demeaning their opponents, engaging in inflammatory rhetoric, moral posturing, etc.

Last edited:
We all want good jobs, a good house, a good life, etc. We might also agree on a lot of moral standards, family values, etc.
I think the slow erosion of middle-income jobs is an existential crisis and will eventually end the American experiment.

And the very fact that it’s slow motion is part of the crisis. For you see, we’re great at fast-moving crises like a hurricane. Something like a drought, not so much and it eventually leads to a situation of one against all and every person for themselves, very little being done to help the group.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Adding to my previous post...
I think a related issue would be to look at why can't we disagree respectfully. I know when politicians disagree with each other, they try to make it into a crisis life-and-death issue. They inflame it by saying if you don't agree, then you're anti-American or racist, etc.

Can't we have disagreements without all of the judgmental language?!

If it wasn't clear enough, I clearly hate it when people divide over politics. Oftentimes, it's not genuine because people choose to shun others selectively or hypocritically, like when they are quick to shun someone from the other side over a view or act, but don't shun someone from their same side for the same thing. Also, nowadays, it is too easy for someone to make any political matter into a real divisive issue, to the point to where people would want to divide/shun others. Our political leaders are good at that. The ease at which that can be done would lead some to eventually shun close friends and family members. Imagine dividing with family or any significant other over politics? It's sickening, imo. Imagine your only friends being those from your political party? Life is much bigger than just politics. I would hate to commit myself to that, especially knowing that political leaders could care less about their people. They just want more power and influence (whereas family and friends really care).

If we focused on what unite us, or don't go as far with politics (e.g. don't inflame the matter, respect our differences), then the world would be a much more united place.

#Differences don't have to divide

Last edited:
Politics nowadays is used to radicalized (turn people extreme) and divide people. I think it is the most dangerous domestic threat that the United States faces today. Jesus once said a kingdom divided against itself can't stand.