Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

Pro:

about U.S. Navy film footage

“We encountered this thing that we refer to as the Tic Tac because that’s what it looked like,” Dietrich said. “It was unlike anything we’d ever seen (and) unlike anything I’ve seen since. That’s why we refer to it as ‘unidentified.’ We came back to the ship, we gave our reports and then went on with our training — went on with our lives and our careers.”

Reactions: AgnosticBoy

from 2004, the so-called “Tic Tac” video

92n83cuw-900.jpg

because at time the shape (of either the object or light reflection!) kind of looks like a “Tic Tac” candy

from 2004

Pro:

“As I get closer, as my nose is starting to pull back up, it accelerates and it’s gone,” he told the Post. “Faster than I’d ever seen anything in my life. We turn around, say let’s go see what’s in the water and there’s nothing. Just blue water.”

“I can tell you, I think it was not from this world,” Fravor told ABC News

——————————

This is U.S. Navy Cmdr David Fravor, and a man who had then been flying for 18 years.

He can still make an early assumption, and be mistaken.

Last edited:

Con:

“ . . When the object appears to dart off to the left, that is actually an effect of the camera losing lock and moving to the right. . ”
Great topic. I covered this topic right around the time that the Pentagon was set to release a report on UFOs, which they term UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena). That report can be read here.

I've read some of explanations from skeptics but I don't put much confidence into them because they are theories. I question the qualifications/expertise of some of these skeptics because a lot of them seem like lone researchers. I'd want to know their expertise, if their work is peer-reviewed by other experts in the field, etc. So far, it doesn't appear that way since even the US government hasn't been able to debunked the bulk of cases. Would these skeptics know more than the US government :unsure:

Either way, we need more standardization when it comes to studying UFOs if we're truly interested in understanding them. The following is one of the best articles that talks about that,

The X Files Remix GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Here's some other good observations regarding the study of UFOs...
The grave difficulty with essentially all past UFO studies has been that they were either devoid of any substantial scientific content, or else have lost their way amidst the relatively large noise-content that tends to obscure the real signal in the UFO reports. The presence of a percentually large number of reports of misidentified natural or technological phenomena (planets, meteors, and aircraft, above all) is not surprising, given all the circumstances surrounding the UFO problem. Yet such understandable and usually easily recognized instances of misidentification have all too often been seized upon as a sufficient explanation for all UFO reports, while the residue of far more significant reports (numbering now of order one thousand) are ignored. I believe science is in default for having failed to mount any truly adequate studies of this problem, a problem that has aroused such strong and widespread public concern during the past two decades.

A second regrettable result is that only a very small number of scientists have taken the time and trouble to search out the nearly puzzling reports that tend to be diluted out by the much larger number of trivial and non-significant UFO reports. The net result is that there still exists no general scientific recognition of the scope and nature of the UFO problem.
Source: Science in Default: Twenty-Two Years of Inadequate UFO Investigations

Great topic. I covered this topic right around the time that the Pentagon was set to release a report on UFOs, which they term UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena). That report can be read here.

I've read some of explanations from skeptics but I don't put much confidence into them because they are theories. I question the qualifications/expertise of some of these skeptics because a lot of them seem like lone researchers. . .
The X Files Remix GIF
UAP is even pronounceable as “You-App”! :)

And yes, I think the odds are probably stacked against lone researchers.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy

So, it’s not just raw data.

And this “system” might be great in many, many regular circumstances, but maybe sometimes it misreads?
I'm sure it can misread as no instrument is perfect. I personally think there's more going on than just artefact from faulty equipment. Some UAPs have been observed with the naked eye, as well. I'm open to the idea that these are extraterrestrial in nature, and they'll probably come around more during world conflict, like what's going on between Russia and Ukraine. Then again, I might be influenced by a lot of sci-fi movies.

Btw, what do you think these flying objects are? Do you accept the pro side or the con side? Or are you undecided?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur