Elon Musks talks about the "citizen journalism". When I google the terms, it explains it as follows,
"the collection, dissemination, and analysis of news and information by the general public, especially by means of the internet.".
This is an alternative to mainstream media. Anyone can do this, and I've even thought about it myself.

What are your thoughts on "citizen journalism"? Personally, my main concern is that people listen more for popularity instead of accuracy.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
I don’t like Elon Musk so much.

Yes, citizen journalism is probably a major wave of the future, a wave, not the only wave.

But right-wing talk radio and social media seems to move rapidly from one urban legend to the next. And if some are disproved [and a lot more energy to disprove something], the heck with it, we’re already three legends down the road.

The classic example might be “PizzaGate,” in which rightwingers claimed that basically some random pizza restaurant in Washington, DC, was the head of some child sex abuse ring run by Democrats.

And it agitated some guy I think from (?) North Carolina sufficiently enough so that he drove all the way to D.C., went in there with a rifle, fired a shot or two through the ceiling. Demanded that some side room be opened up where some tables were being stored.

I think he ended up serving time for this. But these profit-making people spreading these clever and juicy lies on this didn’t even face civil lawsuits.

==========

Or, look at all the wild stuff people end up believing about Covid.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
This is an example of media by the general public...

I bring up this video because it is seems to offer a non-partisan take on the war in Ukraine. An example of that is that it acknowledges that both sides (the West and Russia) engage in propaganda.