In light of there being a push among some to have a gender neutral society, I figured I'd open a discussion on what people thought about gender. I'm not referring to the obvious biological matters, like sexual anatomy, but rather on social matters. Here's one good definition for gender:

Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, femininity and masculinity. Depending on the context, these characteristics may include biological sex, sex-based social structures (i.e., gender roles), or gender identity.[1][2][3] Most scholars agree that gender is a central characteristic for social organization.[4] Most cultures use a gender binary, having two genders (boys/men and girls/women);[5][6][7] those who exist outside these groups may fall under the umbrella term non-binary. Some societies have specific genders besides "man" and "woman", such as the hijras of South Asia; these are often referred to as third genders (and fourth genders, etc.).
Source: Wikipedia

And on Gender neutrality:
Gender neutrality (adjective form: gender-neutral), also known as gender-neutralism or the gender neutrality movement, is the idea that policies, language, and other social institutions (social structures, gender roles, or gender identity)[1] should avoid distinguishing roles according to people's sex or gender. This is in order to avoid discrimination arising from the impression that there are social roles for which one gender is more suited than another. The disparity in gender equality throughout history, has had a significant impact on many aspects of society, including marketing, toys, education and parenting techniques. In order to increase gender neutrality in recent years, there has been a societal emphasis on utilizing inclusive language and advocating for equality.
What is your view on gender roles?
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:
I believe that there are obvious patterns of behavior that are classified as 'masculine' and 'feminine'. I also accept that men and women can fit largely into either classification (e.g. men being feminine). However, as a heterosexual male, having a gender neutral society would take away from a woman's sexual appeal. I'm attracted to femininity, and I believe my masculinity compliments that trait. I believe that some traits are negotiable or not clearly masculine, but there are some that are, like being the protector, and taking the lead on some of the things that men tend to be good at (i.e. playing to their strengths). I feel the same way about women when it comes to femininity. So based on some of the factors I mentioned I can say that I'm definitely against a gender neutral society.

Now, I won't go as far as imposing my view on all women or those who want a gender neutral society or even those who think women can adopt any trait (feminine or masculine) they want, but I do think those who value heterosexuality should also value gender roles as opposed to trying to eliminate them.

Last edited:
If the goal of gender neutrality is to simply alleviate gender discrimination then there are other ways to do that other than eliminating gender roles.