UFOs. Real or fiction?

AgnosticBoy

Agnostic, Independent (politically)
Staff member
Oct 1, 2020
TheAgnosticForum.com
Imagine a technology that can do 6-to-700 g-forces, that can fly at 13,000 miles an hour, that can evade radar and that can fly through air and water and possibly space. And oh, by the way, has no obvious signs of propulsion, no wings, no control surfaces and yet still can defy the natural effects of Earth's gravity. That's precisely what we're seeing.
Source: CBS News - 60 minutes

The above quote is a description of a UFO given by Luis Elizondo, a military counterintelligence officer and former director of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (ATTIP), a secretive unit of the Pentagon that studied UFOs. Luis gave this definition during a documentary on CBS news. It's the best documentary I've seen on UFOs because it offers some of the best type of evidence from sophisticated surveillance and from trained military pilots. The documentary also goes over some of the skepticism. Here's the full documentary:

For debate:
1. Are UFOs real? (UFO defined earlier in this post. It's referred to as "technology", which implies intelligence behind it).

TracyRN

Catholic
Oct 25, 2020
Florida
forums.catholic.com
I believe! 👽

Scientists can not explain it. Government can not explain it. I can bet that there are better videos than that. However, the government does not want to look unprepared so they release what they want us to see and hide the rest.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy

AgnosticBoy

Staff member
Oct 1, 2020
TheAgnosticForum.com
Good points, Tracy. The Scientific American has a good article that covers different perspectives on the recent UFO sightings by the US military. I'll post mostly the perspective of one of the skeptics.

Those deeply entrenched public beliefs, paired with the apparent reinvigoration of investigative interest in these incidents at the highest levels of government, can lead to dazzling speculations. Might we be on the verge of a formal disclosure—backed by irrefutable evidence—that humankind is not alone and is indeed being monitored by extraterrestrial civilizations? Or could it be that UAPs are entirely homegrown products of revolutionary and clandestine technological advances, whether by other countries now challenging American airspace or by the U.S. itself as part of some supersecret domestic program meant to detect flaws in the nation’s defenses? The mind boggles.

Skeptical science writer Mick West has taken on the chore of analyzing the spate of UAP videos released by the U.S. military, steadfastly investigating how some of the incidents could merely be mirages from flaws in newly deployed radar systems, as well as various sorts of well-understood visual artifacts regularly seen in cameras. Despite his work to debunk the recent claims, West maintains that reports of mysterious aircraft stalking military assets should be taken quite seriously.

“Firstly, there’s a set of very real issues that could be grouped together as ‘UAPs’ or ‘UFOs,’” West says. “Any time something unidentified shows up in restricted airspace, then that’s a real problem that needs solving.” There have been many reports of drones above or near restricted areas, he notes. “We know that drones have been used for terrorist attacks, and drones will very much be a significant factor in future conflicts,” West says. “So we need to figure out how to identify and mitigate such things.”

Another real issue is that pilots sometimes see things that they cannot readily identify, West says, and they may misidentify such objects. Regardless of what such pilots actually observe, this is a problem. “If something there is hard to identify—like a novel drone—then we need to figure out how to identify it,” he says. “If the pilots are making mistakes, then we need to figure out why.”
Source: Scientific American

I visited the hyperlink in the article and that leads to Mick West's site. He gives an interesting explanation describing these UFOs as being artefact in some cases and misidentified objects in other cases. What I'd love to see is a debate seeing how much water his skeptical views hold. In fact, I'd even like to see his views peer-reviewed by experts to see if anyone else agrees with him.

Reactions: TracyRN

AgnosticBoy

Staff member
Oct 1, 2020
TheAgnosticForum.com
Here's another video you might like Tracy. It's an interesting from Sam Harris on the recent UFO activity as reported by the US Navy and the Pentagon. Sam Harris has been known to be critical of religious beliefs so many might put him in the skeptic camp even when it comes to UFOs. Apparently, he's open or agnostic to UFOs and even gives caution against extreme skepticism.