You can watch the full debate of Republican candidates on Fox News site.

What are your reactions and analysis?
Who won?
Who lost?
Would Trump have won?
Etc.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
What are your reactions and analysis?
Who won?
Who lost?
Would Trump have won?
Etc.
I went in with Chris Christie being my favorite candidate. He did okay in that he didn't standout to me, overall. He only stood out to me in his boldness on attacking Trump. But of course, there are more issues, like on the economy, social issues, and foreign policy.

Vivek Ramaswamy also stood out to me as being anti-establishment. He didn't come off as someone brought and paid for like the other politicians. He was attacked a lot for not having government experience and being too young. Eventhough I didn't agree with all of his views, I think he won the debate for me because he stood out the most.

The biggest loser besides Trump (for not showing up) was Tim Scott. I felt he didn't sell himself enough and wasn't as engaged. At least Trump is good at that, and even if Trump is not called on, I'm sure he would've still interjected to get his points in.

But if my initial threshold is that I can only support candidates who are independently wealthy . . .

That’s going to really limit my choices.
Yeah, definitely need to see more of his plan before deciding. I think we need an outsider as opposed to a typical or experienced politician. He at least checks that box off, more than any other current candidate.

Last edited:
I honestly think Chris Christie lost some ground because he came off as not caring what happens to Trump. It was as if he presumed that Trump was guilty. That's a bad move in terms of fairness (presumption of innocence?) , Especially when he does that in front of a Republican audience. I'm all for calling out Trump but I would make sure that my criticisms don't go too far. Perhaps Chris Christie was trying to appeal to the anti-trump crowd.

Governor of Ron DeSantis came off as being inauthentic. When asked if he would support Trump even if Trump was convicted, DeSantis looked around to see which other candidates raised their hand before raising his. I always suspected that he's trying to be like Trump when it comes to stirring up controversy.

I think we need an outsider as opposed to a typical or experienced politician.
I urge you to be an optimist. For example, the American middle class has shrunk a lot less than many people seem to think.

And maybe we only need a “bull in the china shop” such as Donald Trump once a generation

I talked with a Republican acquaintance in my local sports bar. (1) He thinks it’s time to move past Trump, (2) he watched the debate but didn’t like any of the 8.

Whom he likes best seems to be the Republican governor of Virginia, who I don’t think is running, as of yet.

I urge you to be an optimist. For example, the American middle class has shrunk a lot less than many people seem to think.

And maybe we only need a “bull in the china shop” such as Donald Trump once a generation
That's good to consider. I wouldn't say that having Washington experience or having an insider is always a bad thing. Of course, it's a good thing to have someone that already understands the job and has worked in the field already. But with that experience also comes all of the bad baggage, which is all of the exposure to the political games and hyperpartisanship. I question if people who have had made a career out of doing that type of business are willing to give it up.

Also, I'm thinking that having term limits would eliminate the need for an outsider since you'll always get new people cycling through Congress (just as we do for the presidency).

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
But with that experience also comes all of the bad baggage, which is all of the exposure to the political games and hyperpartisanship.
Plus, you’ve probably accepted campaign contributions from the very industries you’re supposed to be regulating. In fact, these are probably some of your biggest donors.

So as, in theory it’d be good to have experienced people regulating Big Oil or Big Pharma [ why in God’s Green Earth is insulin so expensive? ]

. . . in practice, doesn’t work nearly so well!

I guess I take the view of pretty much any college economics textbook, that most regulation is actually to the benefit of existing companies. For starters, it increases the costs to enter a market.