Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

67377159-11717995-image-a-1_1675693845607.jpg

Yes, if I were president of the United States, I’d be pretty keen on emergency preparedness, disaster relief, etc.

Now, I wouldn’t want to ramp up only for the next president to ramp down. And I’d want the United States to be a leader in this area, not THE leader that other countries overdepend on. So, for these two reasons, I’d still be somewhat conservative in my approach.

And I think I’d also want to focus on making sure we have highly experienced military officers in the key areas, so that we’re capable of—

Getting the help there quickly! 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Very tragic situation. The death toll is more than 20,000. and I'd expect that to climb.

I'd want America to not only be good at helping other nations but also be able to help themselves. In Florida, dozens died in the last hurricane. I think that's unacceptable for a first world country that has lots of resources.

And I’d want the United States to be a leader in this area, not THE leader that other countries overdepend on.
That nations don't overdepend on us is an important point to keep in mind. I'd want there to also be a collective effort of many nations. We have the UN for that but I wonder if America is contributing disproportionately compared to other members of the UN.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
I'd want America to not only be good at helping other nations but also be able to help themselves. In Florida, dozens died in the last hurricane. I think that's unacceptable for a first world country that has lots of resources
Disaster relief is both a lot of planning in advance, but also a lot of improv during the event itself. Similar to the idea that no military operation goes according to plan.

I still remember about Hurricane Katrina which hit New Orleans in 2005, some sheriff deputies showed up in air boats wanting to help look for survivors— and they were turned away!

Now, this so very much plays off ideas we already have about overplanning and bureaucracy and officialdom, that I’m thinking it could easily be part urban legend and part reality. I don’t know for sure.

========

And then with Hurricane Harvey which hit my city of Houston in 2017, Joel and Victoria Osteen of Lakewood Church got a lot of criticism for not opening their church sooner. I mean, for people who were flooded out and needing a place to live for a couple of days and weeks.

Now, there was some wall or something like that which if it had given way, would have flooded the parking garage and endangered people trying to get to the church. So, it wasn’t a slam dunk decision.

Where Joel lost me is when he said during a sermon, I’d rather be criticized for being over-cautious than for being reckless. Much too poetic, much too everything. And people applauded. I wish some people at least had booed.

Last edited: