Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
announced he was running in October

And, the average American voter likes rich candidates. Please remember H. Ross Perot way back in 1992, who got almost 19% of the popular vote even after dropping out and re-entering the race for President.

I’m guessing most people think a rich person has demonstrated an ability to get things done. Plus, they don’t have a reason to take special interest money and become corrupt.

Dean Phillips became rich from running his family’s liquor business. He later started a gelato business and then a coffee business. Personally, I find it refreshing that these are regular businesses which are easy to understand.

But he’s not a Senator,

He’s not a Governor,

Rightly or wrongly, people think of the U.S. House of Representatives as kind of a junior varsity.

Again, Phillips announced back in October. He has probably missed his window as far as getting a groundswell of support.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
What would impress me about him is seeing how he handles himself. Running a campaign is a best test, but of course, it's not the only good indicator for a good president. I'd like to see his ideas showcased, especially in a debate. I hope we get a primary debate on the Democrat side very soon.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
I hope we get a primary debate on the Democrat side very soon.
I’d like to see a debate on the Democrat side, too. But realistically, I don’t think we’re going to get it.

The Democratic “establishment” has, for whatever reason, really coalesced around President Biden. The unspoken rule seems to be, Wow, if you’re going to take on Biden, you better be able to win decisively.

As a result, we have a very thin field:

Marianne Williamson, who is a self-help author,

Robert Kennedy, Jr, who’s merely a lawyer and the son of a famous person. Plus, he’s peddled this crap about vaccines causing autism, which is neither good science nor good “humantics” as I might call it!

and then . . .

Dean Phillips who’s a least in Congress, although a relative newcomer, and in the “junior” branch [ not really, but perceived that way . . .]

And . . .

if Phillips’ campaign was going to take off, it would have already! although I hope I’m mistaken on this point.

Last edited:
@Multicolored Lemur

The Democratic “establishment” has, for whatever reason, really coalesced around President Biden. The unspoken rule seems to be, Wow, if you’re going to take on Biden, you better be able to win decisively.
Yes, they have done that. Could be because traditionally incumbent president tends to get little to no challenge from their own party. I actually like Joe but my main concern about him is his seemingly declining mental ability. It would be the worst timing if it took a sharp turn for the worst during the campaign or if that was exposed during that time.

I’d like to see a debate on the Democrat side, too. But realistically, I don’t think we’re going to get it.
Just out of curiosity, who would you like to see run on the Democrat side? Manchin is out. I think he's planning on leaving the Senate, at the end of his term.

Just out of curiosity, who would you like to see run on the Democrat side?

He’s a conservative southern Democrat. That’s what the people want, and he’d almost be a shoe-in.

* actually, it’d probably be a long, bruising campaign

And serving as President visibly ages any person. You need to be down for it, and you need your family to be down for it, too.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, who would you like to see run on the Democrat side?

He’s a conservative southern Democrat. That’s what the people want, and he’d almost be a shoe-in.

* actually, it’d probably be a long, bruising campaign

And serving as President visibly ages any person. You need to be down for it, and you need your family to be down for it, too.
He might have to change his last name to prevent being mistaken with the John Edwards (former US Senator that ran for president in 2008) who impregnated a female journalist while his wife was also dying of cancer. That's would be bad PR.