Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
As an analogy . . .

As anti-smoking as U.S. society is, and yet we didn’t put any effective stops on Juul and other vaping companies? Instead we run preachy commercials aimed at teenagers. And in some cases, it’s sub-teens who are vaping.

So, we don’t effectively regulate corporations. We just make it an individual conduct issue.

Dolby-Cinema-The-Creator-Poster-Sep23.jpg

And since we’re not likely to do the 1st step of effectively regulating AI ahead of time, we have to be ready to do the 2nd step of granting AI the same rights as each of us. Or more accurately, Recognizing that “high enough” intelligence has the same rights as humans, no more, no less.

The same rights we’d recognize in conscious, advanced extraterrestrials.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
The negative risks might be that AI would take over. And we might not like their plans and where they are going to take us.

The positive might be they can enhance mankind. I think that's the more likely option, that we'd merge with them.

I didn't even notice any trailers or commercials for this movie on tv. I'll have to check it out.. looks interesting!

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
The positive might be they can enhance mankind. I think that's the more likely option, that we'd merge with them.
sounds weird, but if AI has self-awareness, worries about its own death, etc, etc, Yes, then we need to grant rights [recognize legally the rights that are already there].

Then a person might find a co-worker or neighbor or doctor is AI.

Maybe even a friend.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
I think we'd get to human cloning before we get to self-aware AI. In either scenario, I think humans would not take it well that we're no longer the top of the species. In a way we subject animals, and probably other life forms that are too small for us to care about. It's hard to think that we could be put in that position by AI. The movie I, Robot, plays out that scenario.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur