On one thread, a member suggested that someone can have a relationship with Jesus. To a skeptic, this would seem very odd since Jesus has been long dead. When you are in a relationship with someone, this usually involves both parties communicating with each other, spending time with each other, giving each other advice, having fun, etc. How can you reliably experience Jesus in any way (beyond just reading about him) if he doesn't do any of the things from the last sentence. Even if you bring up a spiritual relationship, you can still question that, like questioning how do you know it's Jesus and not a demon?

For Debate:
Is there a reliable way of knowing that you have a relationship with Jesus? Anyway to confirm it?

Editted to add clarification...
I gave a good sum up of my thoughts here...

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009
Before I get into the matter of a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, let me ask you this.

It is a fashionable for some peope adopt the attitude - "Why make yourself a skeptic." Does being a skeptic automatically carry with it the presumption that one must also be wise ? Ie. "Make yourself skeptical and people will deem you wise"

Do you think skeptical people expect that others will presume that they must be wise too?
I question that, that skepticism is always a automatic sign of good insight, common sense, and good judgment.

Last edited:
Knowing Jesus is predicated on two important things.

1.) He is alive. If Jesus is dead and gone the Good News is in vain. We can forget all about the Gospel if Christ is not risen from the dead.

2.) We have to use a part of our being which we never used before - our spirit.
For we can only touch, "taste", enjoy and experience fellowship with the resurrected Christ by this neglected "organ" of our being - oor human spirit.

To repeat the above - if Christ is not raised from the dead we cannot know Christ. We might as well eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we die and rot.

And there is an organ of our being called the spirit. is not to be confused with the soul of man. This neglected spirit is in a comatose and deadened state. It must be enlivened to function normally. When our spirit (different from our human soul) is reborn there is no problem to our ability to fellowship with the resurrected Son of God.

Last edited:
There is an important third requirement to having intimate communion with Jesus Christ.
That is that the barrier between us and God must be removed.
There is a barrier, an obstacle which makes fellowship with God unattainable.
This barrier has to be dealt with and removed.

When I ask people who believe this is a God or there at least could be God, "What is the problem interfering with you knowing God?"
I am suprised that there are so many answers implied or stated directly.

Some think the problem is that they do not know enough about Science. So they do not know God.
Some think they need to know more about Roman politics of the first century. That is the obstacle inteferring with them knowing God.
Others think if they knew more about Evolution then God could perhaps be known.
Others assume that if only they knew more Greek language they might know God.

The barrier interferring with people knowing God are not these things.
I would say the hindrance to knowing God is nothing this interesting.
It is not the barrier of knowledge, science, politics, ethics, astronomy, chemistry, psychology, physics, culture or anything this interesting.

The problem inteferring with a man knowing God is his sins.
It is what you said.
It is what you did.
It is how you behaved, reacted, and lived out your desires to commit sins.

It may sound more boring. The obatacle is nothing so intriguing as you imagined. It is our boring old SINS which is the
chief obstacle forbidding us to have intimate fellowship with the living God and Christ. It is a man's iniquities that have curt off his ability to commion with God. It is a woman's transgressions, sins, and offenses that have cut off her enjoyment of God's presence.

God is holy. Sin is an abomination to this holy and righteous God.
"But your iniquities have become a separation / Between you and your God, / And your sins have hidden His face / From you so that He does not hear."

The problem of the actual GUILT of our SINS must be dealt with before we can have fellowship with Jesus Christ.
Thankfully He has made provision for the solving of the problem of our sins.
When we take the provision that barrier of sins is removed and free fellowship with the Father is possible.

Isaiah 59:1,2 -
No, Jehovah’s hand is not so short that it cannot save; / Nor is His ear so heavy that it cannot hear.
But your iniquities have become a separation / Between you and your God, / And your sins have hidden His face / From you so that He does not hear.

On one thread, a member suggested that someone can have a relationship with Jesus. To a skeptic, this would seem very odd since Jesus has been long dead. When you are in a relationship with someone, this usually involves both parties communicating with each other, spending time with each other, giving each other advice, having fun, etc. How can you reliably experience Jesus in any way (beyond just reading about him) if he doesn't do any of the things from the last sentence. Even if you bring up a spiritual relationship, you can still question that, like questioning how do you know it's Jesus and not a demon?

For Debate:
Is there a reliable way of knowing that you have a relationship with Jesus? Anyway to confirm it?
i would say off the cuff that believers are usually led by cult of sol congregations into relationships with and even worship of “Jesus,” Who is presented to them as basically Apollos, what with the comings and goings; Jesus is either literally returning here, or returning to take some believers somewhere else, no one is really sure which…but a central point, imo, is that that is always going to happen Tomorrow, being as how it has not happened today (and an important note; even the Apostles supposed that Jesus’ kingdom was going to manifest as they entered Jerusalem) My kingdom is not of this world thus ignored then, just like now

They even have a song about it, “Soon and very soon,” that i guess pretty much everyone is fam with? They believe that they are “going” somewhere “to see the king,” see, despite all the warnings about the kingdom not coming by observation, bc they i guess have a need for Spirit to be literal, so God has to “exist,” concepts need to be “proven,” and so without meaning to they boil young goats in their Mother’s Milk so to speak, as may be observed on any Christian forum

The title of “Christ,” many believers are surprised to learn did not originate with Jesus, and was bestowed upon Pharaohs and Caesars since forever, and King David is even compared as a type of Christ, the import here possibly being that ppl sought a Savior then just like we do today in our politics, etc, with candidates employing the language of a Savior even if they do not specifically use that term; instead we hear “drain the swamp” or some similar inference that the people will be saved if this candidate is elected.

So once one has read enough of that in history prior to “Jesus,” it starts becoming clearer why Jesus may have appropriated the title to refer to Himself, which He did only indirectly, and only one time John 4:26, which is also important to a seeker since “no witness,” even if we have many previous writings that referred to a “Savior” and might be applied to Him. Which i would not dispute, but a Jew certainly would. All leading to a view that, after many years of study, comes to sound somewhat tongue-in-cheek; a Savior that the whole of humanity cannot agree on, what kind of savior is that?

i would say “a spiritual kind,” that Jews reject for not being literal enough, and that Christians go on to do the same thing with, in their not recognizing that Jesus is not literal, and certainly not seeking worship, but rather followers.

Many will cry “Lord, Lord,” we are told, and while i certainly dont know, i would beware anyone telling me that Jesus is literally returning soon, or that we will be going anywhere with Jesus ”soon,” and we are even warned about those who have a form of Godliness but deny its power, which idk but i suggest resides in today, and is completely available right now

the Bible def states that many will claim that, and that “strong men” will try and force their way into that, etc, so may i be so bold as to suggest that anyone testifying about themselves in that manner be…well, heard with a grain of salt :)
and i suggest in those cases that you keep your hand on your wallet, too

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Before I get into the matter of a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, let me ask you this.

It is a fashionable for some peope adopt the attitude - "Why make yourself a skeptic." Does being a skeptic automatically carry with it the presumption that one must also be wise ? Ie. "Make yourself skeptical and people will deem you wise"

Do you think skeptical people expect that others will presume that they must be wise too?
I question that, that skepticism is always a automatic sign of good insight, common sense, and good judgment.
Test everything, and keep what is good

even if i agree with your premise, for the most part

i would say off the cuff that believers are usually led by cult of sol congregations into relationships with and even worship of “Jesus,” Who is presented to them as basically Apollos, what with the comings and goings; Jesus is either literally returning here, or returning to take some believers somewhere else, no one is really sure which…but a central point, imo, is that that is always going to happen Tomorrow, being as how it has not happened today (and an important note; even the Apostles supposed that Jesus’ kingdom was going to manifest as they entered Jerusalem) My kingdom is not of this world thus ignored then, just like now
This thread is not really about the second coming of Chirist.
This thread is about can we know Christ today.

Knowing Jesus is predicated on two important things.

1.) He is alive. If Jesus is dead and gone the Good News is in vain. We can forget all about the Gospel if Christ is not risen from the dead.
”Buried with Him in death, raised to new life in Him”
is (or used to be) said during a Protestant’s baptism
the obvious inference being that the “new life” is supposed to begin right then
2.) We have to use a part of our being which we never used before - our spirit.
For we can only touch, "taste", enjoy and experience fellowship with the resurrected Christ by this neglected "organ" of our being - oor human spirit.

To repeat the above - if Christ is not raised from the dead we cannot know Christ. We might as well eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we die and rot.
You are dust, and to dust you shall return
All go to the same place

so i dont want to be taken wrong here, but give me an atheist (samaritan) who is willing to do the right then even when no one else is looking over a believer who is focused on their own immortality, any day!
And there is an organ of our being called the spirit. is not to be confused with the soul of man. This neglected spirit is in a comatose and deadened state. It must be enlivened to function normally. When our spirit (different from our human soul) is reborn there is no problem to our ability to fellowship with the resurrected Son of God.
“like”
although imo it should be said that neither the pagan (Centurion) nor the atheist (Samaritan) would likely have confessed anything like this “rebirth” that they nonetheless seem to get credit for from Jesus

Last edited:
. How can you reliably experience Jesus in any way (beyond just reading about him) if he doesn't do any of the things from the last sentence. Even if you bring up a spiritual relationship, you can still question that, like questioning how do you know it's Jesus and not a demon?

For Debate:
As you can see readers this is a discussion not about the second coming of Christ (at least not primarily).
It is about the ability and assurance of knowing the Lord Jesus (or not) TODAY and for the last nearly two thousand years.