Let's use the school grade system of A to F, with A being good and F for fail.

How would you rate Biden's job as president on the following (feel free to explain why):
1. The Economy
2. Immigration
3. Foreign Policy
4. Domestic Policy (social issues, education, national security, etc).

What grade would you give him for each category, and what would be your overall grade for him?

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
the sweet spot for school is B+ and A-

More than that, you’re trying too hard and neglecting other worthwhile life pursuits. Obvious exception if a person is gunning for medical school, fancy college, grad school for geography [which 10 years ago had good job opportunities], etc.

The Economy
2. Immigration
3. Foreign Policy

1) Economy B+
Of course, we needed to juice the economy after downturn of Covid [both Trump and Biden signed big stimulus]

Of course, there was going to be inflation. But from 9% inflation to about 4% now, yes, I’d say we’re coming in for smooth landing.

2) Immigration C
Look, we stopped the cruelty of putting kids in cages [Yes, really!] during the Trump years.
And Biden’s not responsible for turmoil in Central American.
But . . .
But . . .
have to move beyond legalistic approach on refugees and asylum seekers. Because the numbers of people are higher than normal.

3) Foreign Policy B or B+
President Biden sided with Ukraine and Israel. I would have made the same choices myself.
And trying to give Israel an out or give them a third way. Because when terrorists embed themselves in the civilian population, you face really awful choices.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Let's use the school grade system of A to F, with A being good and F for fail.

How would you rate Biden's job as president on the following (feel free to explain why):
1. The Economy
2. Immigration
3. Foreign Policy
4. Domestic Policy (social issues, education, national security, etc).
My grades would be

Grades:
1. B-
I think pres. Biden has done okay on the economy. Under his watch, we stayed out of a recession. Increase in jobs reportings have mostly been good.

2. D
This is one area where he has failed. Too many immigrants coming in, and even leaders in Democrat run cities/counties have complained. I don't think immigration reform was on his plate, and before letting in any additional undocumented immigrants at the border, that should've been addressed. In fact, I'd say the last 3 or 4 presidents have failed at immigration. Trump at least did better at securing the border, but we need to fix our asylum system and reform other policies.

3. B
President Biden botched Afghanistan. That was a disaster and I think a lot the problems getting out of there could've been better planned. I'm sure a lot of the Aghan translators that were left behind were butchered by the Taliban.

Biden did okay on Ukraine, but a bit sluggish. I definitely liked how he stood up to the Pro-Palestinian crowd in his own party and took steps to prevent other nations from attacking Israel.

4. C
I'm sure Biden has had a lot of views on social issues that a lot of people would agree on, but I don't think he has a good winning record at getting them passed. Abortion is out of the Federal level. Affirmative action at some colleges seem to be eroding.

Overall grade: B - or C

Look, we stopped the cruelty of putting kids in cages [Yes, really!] during the Trump years.
It worked, but very cruel indeed. I'm sure it's part of some tactic in psychological warfare.

I think the last few presidents have either been too weak or too harsh on immigration. But the main thing to me is that immigration reforms have been talked about for decades it seems, and no one is really taking the lead to compromise and get a deal done. Those under the DACA or dreamers program probably have to worry about their status with each presidential election (Republican controlled government would probably repeal the program).

Biden did okay on Ukraine, but a bit sluggish. I definitely liked how he stood up to the Pro-Palestinian crowd in his own party and took steps to prevent other nations from attacking Israel.
You know, we both may have made the same mistake. We both looked at “foreign policy” solely in terms of military conflict.

Instead of …

Trade, and moving toward more of a 2-way street on trade. And developing skillful ways to do this.

1/3 due to competition from other countries, and 2/3’s due to automation, the % of Americans working in manufacturing jobs has been going down for a long time.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
It worked, but very cruel indeed.
[family separation, children behind bars]

I just question whether “tough” has any automatic, 1-to-1 correspondence with effective.

For example, many of us probably have had the experience of having a boss who’s both a yeller and a guesser. And I say, it is not very effective.

It worked, but very cruel indeed.
[family separation, children behind bars]

I just question whether “tough” has any automatic, 1-to-1 correspondence with effective.

For example, many of us probably have had the experience of having a boss who’s both a yeller and a guesser. And I say, it is not very effective.
My thinking was that even if it was effective, which I think it was somewhat, it is still wrong to do. Not only would such actions hurt the parents, but also the kids. Sadly, these kids could be scarred for life.

Where I think Trump was more effective at reducing mass numbers of asylum seekers (compared to Biden) was with the "remain in Mexico" policy, but I haven't been able to find any real data on its effectiveness. I'm just thinking psychologically, not many migrants would try to seek asylum at the US border if they knew they had to wait in Mexico for a decision on their case.