So what is gender neutrality? Wikipedia
Gender neutrality (adjective form: gender-neutral), also known as gender-neutralism or the gender neutrality movement, is the idea that policies, language, and other social institutions (social structures or gender roles)[1] should avoid distinguishing roles according to people's sex or gender. This is in order to avoid discrimination arising from the impression that there are social roles for which one gender is more suited than another. The disparity in gender equality throughout history has had a significant impact on many aspects of society, including marketing, toys, education and parenting techniques. In order to increase gender neutrality in recent years, there has been a societal emphasis on utilizing inclusive language and advocating for equality.

Several years ago, the United States Congress adopted some gender neutrality standards, Disney is reported to be adopting gender neutrality, some genderqueer/non-binary groups are pushing for it, and of course, some of the ideology is making its way into grade schools.

For debate...
Is gender neutrality good or bad for society?

Is gender neutrality good or bad for society?
I don't have a completely settled view yet but I'm leaning towards it being bad for society. One big issue I have is that gender neutrality doesn't reflect reality. Gendered behavior is part of our nature and to not acknowledge those differences has the potential to cause psychological, social, and other types of problems. Would there be identity problems, and negative effects on sexuality, particularly heterosexuality, etc? It would be a big change, and I don't believe that we have studied the effects of it on society overall. I'm certainly not willing to jump on the bandwagon without knowing where it will lead.

It would be one thing if gender neutrality was just limited to language, but going beyond that to applying it to sports, to how we raise kids, should require a lot of scrutiny.

My ideal is not gender neutrality, but rather an approach that acknowledges all genders and that includes any non-binary genders that scientists are able to validate. Ignoring gender in my view is like ignoring reality. I'd want kids taught that not only is being non-binary okay if that's your preference, biology, and upbringing, but it's also okay to be fit into the binary or traditional gender/gender roles.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear a compelling argument for or against gender neutrality and will remain agnostic on the topic for the time being.