Edited to include a PewResearch article....

Americans are divided along gender and party lines over whether differences between men and women are rooted in biology or societal expectations​

Women and men who see gender differences in some key areas tend to have divergent views of the roles biology and society play in shaping these differences. Most women who see gender differences in the way people express their feelings, excel at work and approach parenting say those differences are mostly based on societal expectations. Men who see differences in these areas tend to believe biology is the driver.

Similarly, Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents are far more likely than Republicans and those who lean to the GOP to say gender differences are mostly based on societal expectations rather than on biological differences between men and women. About two-thirds of Democrats who say men and women are basically different in how they express their feelings, their approach to parenting, and their hobbies and personal interests say these differences are rooted in societal expectations. Among their Republican counterparts, about four-in-ten or fewer share those views.
Here's a chart from the same site...
PST_12.05.17.gender-00-02.png

I liked the different categories of gender that that they looked at, i.e. the physical abilities, approach to parenting, how we express feelings, hobbies and personal interests, etc. Although the perceptions on these gender roles by each gender is interesting, but I'm more interested in knowing which view is correct based on evidence.

For Debate
Are gender roles a product of nature or nurture or both?

Last edited:
Are gender roles a product of nature or nurture or both?
Like many other behaviors, I accept that gender roles are a product of both biology and environment. Below is an article that goes over that view.
Historically, gender roles have been largely attributed to biological differences in men and women. Although research indicates that biology plays a role in gendered behavior, the extent of its effects on gender roles is less clear.[42][43][44]

Another hypothesis attributes differences in gender roles to prenatal exposure to hormones. Early research examining the effect of biology on gender roles by John Money and Anke Ehrhardt primarily focused on girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), resulting in higher-than-normal prenatal exposure to androgens. Their research found that girls with CAH exhibited tomboy-like behavior, were less interested in dolls, and were less likely to make-believe as parents.[43][44] A number of methodological problems with the studies have been identified.[45]

Sociologist Linda L. Lindsey critiqued the notion that gender roles are a result of prenatal hormone exposure, saying that while hormones may explain sex differences like sexual orientation and gender identity, they "cannot account for gender differences in other roles such as nurturing, love, and criminal behavior".[42] By contrast, some research indicates that both neurobiological and social risk factors can interact in a way that predisposes one to engaging in criminal behavior (including juvenile delinquency).[46][47]
- Wikipedia

In the poll in post 1, it shows that the majority of men and women agree on the differences of physical abilities between genders. Not only that, but they also attribute those physical differences to biology and that's right in line with science. Given those physical abilities, presumably with men being stronger, it shouldn't be hard to figure out why men tend to end up in roles that require more physicality, like security or protection. And to get more into a political issue, I also use this as a reason for why men (transgender or otherwise), should not compete in women's sports.