The Bible has inspiring passages such as the Lord’s Prayer, the Good Samaritan, and the Woman at the Well.

But it also has plenty of un-inspiring stuff. The Old Testament justifies slavery, and I’m not convinced making a distinction between holding a Jew in slavery vs. a foreigner carries the day in any kind of meaningful way. And Paul’s letter to Philemon is tricky. He’s pleading with a slaveowner to release the slave, and per at least one Christian source, the “owner” does release Onesimus. But what if the owner did not say Yes? [And I’m not sure we know whether the Yes was said right away]

I’m willing to respect the Bible as an ancient text, the same as Homer, no more, no less.
im not sure “justifies slavery” is as accurate as “addresses slavery,” which while they did also have chattel slavery then, they also had other forms, debt slavery, indentured slavery, etc

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
The Bible has inspiring passages such as the Lord’s Prayer, the Good Samaritan, and the Woman at the Well.

But it also has plenty of un-inspiring stuff. The Old Testament justifies slavery, and I’m not convinced making a distinction between holding a Jew in slavery vs. a foreigner carries the day in any kind of meaningful way. And Paul’s letter to Philemon is tricky. He’s pleading with a slaveowner to release the slave, and per at least one Christian source, the “owner” does release Onesimus. But what if the owner did not say Yes? [And I’m not sure we know whether the Yes was said right away]

I’m willing to respect the Bible as an ancient text, the same as Homer, no more, no less.
In addition to looking at each individual religion, I also think that it's good to look at on a holistic level. As in viewing all religions as a system. In that way, we see a lot of common themes, goals (i.e. life, death, purpose, transcendence), etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

On the theme of fear of death, heavy metal seems to help, such as this song from 2013. And I’m not sure I can explain this logically! :p

im not sure “justifies slavery” is as accurate as “addresses slavery,” which while they did also have chattel slavery then, they also had other forms, debt slavery, indentured slavery, etc

57909f5c84154a56b6e083cabc9f00bf_big.jpg

I want to be what a daily devotional type of Christian would consider to be fair.

And there is, in fact, a real question of whether the Wise and Concerned Father of the New Testament really comes through in the Old.

Besides the really bad passages, there is a missed opportunity to upgrade pretty much all slavery to the indentured servitude type, including foreigners captured in battles.

* most professing Christians are not the daily devotional type, and that’s fine

Reactions: bbyrd009
As in viewing all religions as a system. In that way, we see a lot of common themes, goals (i.e. life, death, purpose, transcendence), etc.
And it’s kind of cool that Muslim persons, Christian persons, Jewish persons, etc, all have one or more versions of “The Golden Rule.” And I think even most of the “exotic” Eastern, non-monotheism religions have their own versions.

* exotic for us Christians and former Christians! :)

Reactions: bbyrd009
57909f5c84154a56b6e083cabc9f00bf_big.jpg

I want to be what a daily devotional type of Christian would consider to be fair.

And there is, in fact, a real question of whether the Wise and Concerned Father of the New Testament really comes through in the Old.
ya, i guess the argument there is that the OT was the giving of the law, the NT of grace?
Besides the really bad passages, there is a missed opportunity to upgrade pretty much all slavery to the indentured servitude type, including foreigners captured in battles.
bad passages? id ask for an example, i mean, OT or N? But imo if one is not treating others how they would like to be treated, then they are missing the point, slavery or no. But OT at least apparently it was fairly common for a slave to want to remain in bondage, and many “slaves” had quite a bit of authority, outside the Bible even
* most professing Christians are not the daily devotional type, and that’s fine
i think that there is a (well hidden) theme in the Bible, that of deliberate deception, although it doesnt come through until you have been studying it for quite a while? Not even sure how to begin showing that lol…but the sending of the Seventy, when performed, reveals it plainly. So does “why have You forsaken Me?” which falls apart under exam No son of man may die for another’s sin; the soul that sins will die
Christ died for our sins

there is a (well hidden) theme in the Bible, that of deliberate deception, although it doesnt come through until you have been studying it for quite a while? Not even sure how to begin showing that lol…but the sending of the Seventy, when performed, reveals it plainly.
Such as the one twin Jacob picking the time his twin brother Esau was starving to offer him the deal — his birthright for a bowl of stew.

And supposedly, Jacob placing deer skin over his arm fooled the father. When in actuality, touch is going to be the last sense to go.

Now, the part with sending the Seventy . . .

Is this years later when the two brothers are grown men and Jacob sends flocks of animals on ahead as a peace offering?

Last edited:
Such as the one twin Jacob picking the time his twin brother Esau was starving to offer him the deal — his birthright for a bowl of stew.
well…i suggest that that is just the cover story; Esau came to Jacob, after all
i mean his mom lived right across the meadow eh
And supposedly, Jacob placing deer skin over his arm fooled the father. When in actuality, touch is going to be the last sense to go.
i think Esau feeling that he needed “red stew” or he would die is the central theme there, to tie in to blood sacrifices
Now, the part with sending the Seventy . . .

Is this years later when the two brothers are grown men and Jacob sends flocks of animals on ahead as a peace offering?
to Esau, who to all appearances inherited anyway?
no, the seventy is NT…Luke 10:1