Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

The 370-page agreement will, in the words of Republican negotiator James Lankford, move from the current system of "catch and release" to one where migrants are detained and deported.

Senator Lankford brokered the deal with Democratic colleague Chris Murphy and independent colleague Kyrsten Sinema.

If passed into law, it would be the biggest immigration overhaul since the Reagan era in the 1980s.

————————————

Donald Trump came out against it because it would reduce his major issue for the Nov. 2024 election. And too many Republicans go along with Trump, out of fear he will criticize them on social media.

I say, if you have a pretty good deal on immigration, you take that deal.

• Exceptional post!
Reactions: AgnosticBoy

The 370-page agreement will, in the words of Republican negotiator James Lankford, move from the current system of "catch and release" to one where migrants are detained and deported.

Senator Lankford brokered the deal with Democratic colleague Chris Murphy and independent colleague Kyrsten Sinema.

If passed into law, it would be the biggest immigration overhaul since the Reagan era in the 1980s.

————————————

Donald Trump came out against it because it would reduce his major issue for the Nov. 2024 election. And too many Republicans go along with Trump, out of fear he will criticize them on social media.

I say, if you have a pretty good deal on immigration, you take that deal.
I agree with your observation. I'm willing to bet that the same Republicans would've passed the same bill had Trump been in office. It's probably all about letting the immigration disaster play out to make Biden look bad, and Republicans will use that against him.

Some of this is Biden's own doing, in my view. His continuance of "catch and release" policy started a rapid uptick coming right after Trump's presidency. Now Blue states/cities are feeling its effects. And when you have so many migrants being left on the street with little to no money, then of course, some of the men will turn to crime to survive. That doesn't excuse their actions, but leaders should've seen this coming. Perhaps one thing that Biden can do is put more pressure on Republicans to pass the bill, but doing so also risks alienating some of the hardcore Dems. that want more laxed immigration rules. Don't you just luv politics!

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
And when you have so many migrants being left on the street with little to no money, then of course, some of the men will turn to crime to survive.
But unemployment is low. So, even with the 6-month waiting period before people seeking asylum can find jobs legally, I think many can and do find jobs “under the table” before that.

I see the main problem as young men from age 16 - 25. And the second biggest demographic for crime is men from 26 - 34.

This is such a big effect that we kind of have to bend over backwards to give women “equal” billing of sorts. We have to say, Okay, alright, in the annals of crime, there are plenty of fearsome female crime bosses and warrior queens, the pirate Anne Bonny, etc.

But in terms of overall probability,

young women have less problems with misplaced macho-ism than do young men.

Last edited:
Republicans were able to come together to do impeach the Homeland Security director over his handling of the border, while some reason not being able to agree on an immigration bill:

The Republican-led House on Tuesday night narrowly impeached Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas over what they claim is his failure to enforce border and immigration laws, which he denies as "baseless."
Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...S&cvid=d8c0e3cda70947f7bc9acd95783ee817&ei=11

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur

I just finished watching President Biden's state of the union address and I liked his response about the border. He acknowledged the problem of illegal immigrants being willing to cross the border knowing that it would be 6 to 8 years before they get a court hearing to determine their fate in the country. That's how bad the backlog in the immigration courts are. The video clip above is an exchange he had with Rep. Marjorie Taylor.

I place 100% of the blame on Biden. As soon as he took office he reversed all of Trump’s policies and opened the floodgates. I don’t know everything that is in the new bill but knowing how politicians work I would like to know how much pork is included. I would encourage my representatives to pass the bill if it focuses only on immigration. But too often something like this will contain millions for foolishness.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
I place 100% of the blame on Biden. As soon as he took office he reversed all of Trump’s policies and opened the floodgates. I don’t know everything that is in the new bill but knowing how politicians work I would like to know how much pork is included. I would encourage my representatives to pass the bill if it focuses only on immigration. But too often something like this will contain millions for foolishness.
Agreed. He's now trying to take care of the immigration problem, but like you said he made the problem worse at the beginning of his term. He should've had the foresight to noticed that it would cause a problem, although he probably wasn't banking on immigrants being bused to Democrat-run cities. I think that was what pushed him to act.

Reactions: Scooter