We all know that Trump was recently caught with US government classified documents at his Mara Lago residence. The Justice Department is deciding on whether they should charge the former president. Now classified documents have been discovered at a property belonging to president Biden. The Republicans in the House are calling for an investigation.
The House investigation comes about 24 hours after CBS News first reported the Department of Justice was reviewing roughly 10 documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center, a think tank in Washington, D.C., where Mr. Biden worked between 2017 and 2019. The documents stem from Mr. Biden's tenure as vice president, two sources said.

The Republican-led House Committee on Oversight and Accountability has launched an investigation into the documents marked classified that were found at a private office once used by President Joe Biden.

In a letter to Stuart Delery, the White House counsel, Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, of Kentucky, wrote the committee "is concerned that President Biden has compromised (intelligence) sources and methods with his own mishandling of classified documents." Comer asks the White House to turn over all documents and communications related to the classified material found in Mr. Biden's personal office — including the classified documents themselves — by Jan. 24.

Comer told CBS News Tuesday evening that "it appears that it's another cover-up. And we just have a lot of questions with respect to how Biden's been treated verses how Donald Trump was treated." "We simply want to know the same things we asked when Mar-a-Lago was raided," Comer said. "Who has which documents? What level of classification are we talking about here? How many documents? And what was the process involved with making the decision to raid Mar-a-Lago, versus the decision to apparently do nothing with President Biden?"
The part in red bold font is what I want to discuss here.

Are the suspicions of James Comer correct?

Is there a double standard in how Biden is being handled vs. how Trump's case was handled when it came to classified documents?

On the face of it, Trump was sloppier. Plus, he seemed to keep them for purposes of showing off (at least being able to tell people he had them).

Yes, of course, it’s fine to have an investigation.

As long as it doesn’t interfere too much with a substantial agenda of:

—> allowing inflation to continue coming down in a steady eddie fashion (meaning, no abrupt moves),

—> immigration reform where nothing is off the table and each side gets major parts of what they want. (I say, put a few corporate executives in jail if their companies don’t do due diligence on who they hire),

limiting rate of growth of federal spending, in some cases shaving programs to start reducing yearly budget deficits. Of course, the Covid Recession ran up budget deficits (for starters, there were fewer tax dollars than we expected to receive). And do this in a non-abrupt way.

—> I think it’s time to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level.

—> ( and, as a wish list item, I’d like to see us start taking on Big Pharma)

=========

So yeah, there’s a lot we need to realistically get done.

Last edited:
  • Exceptional post!
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
On the face of it, Trump was sloppier. Plus, he seemed to keep them for purposes of showing off (at least being able to tell people he had them).

Yes, of course, it’s fine to have an investigation.

As long as it doesn’t interfere too much with a substantial agenda of:

—> allowing inflation to continue coming down in a steady eddie fashion (meaning, no abrupt moves),

—> immigration reform where nothing is off the table and each side gets major parts of what they want. (I say, put a few corporate executives in jail if their companies don’t do due diligence on who they hire),

limiting rate of growth of federal spending, in some cases shaving programs to start reducing yearly budget deficits. Of course, the Covid Recession ran up budget deficits (for starters, there were fewer tax dollars than we expected to receive). And do this in a non-abrupt way.

—> I think it’s time to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level.

—> ( and, as a wish list item, I’d like to see us start taking on Big Pharma)

=========

So yeah, there’s a lot we need to realistically get done.
I agree with your perspective. The only time I think investigations might get in the way or might become a problem is when it is used it weaponized simply to go after an opponent. This is similar to what Republicans have accused the previous Democrat controlled Congress of doing against Trump. I think the best way to see if that's happening is if we start seeing double standards, like the Republicans not investigating their own for similar incidents.

I'm starting not to like this...

Update:

Second set of classified papers found at Biden's home, White House says

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Joe Biden's legal team has discovered a second set of classified documents from his time as vice president at a storage space in the garage of his home in Wilmington, Delaware, the White House said on Thursday.

The statement by Richard Sauber, a special counsel to Biden, came days after the White House said an earlier batch of documents had been discovered in November in the closet of an office at a University of Pennsylvania think tank that Biden had used after leaving the vice presidency.

Some commentators on Fox News have been reporting that this information regarding Biden having possession of classified documents was kept secret until after the mid-term elections. This doesn't compare to the case on Trump's handling of classified documents but it's still not a good look for President Biden.

. . . This is similar to what Republicans have accused the previous Democrat controlled Congress of doing against Trump. I think the best way to see if that's happening is if we start seeing double standards, like the Republicans not investigating their own for similar incidents
I think things are already highly partisan, but . . .

I welcome the possibility of a fresh start. I’m in favor of making sincere efforts again and again and again. And we citizens in the broad center will get more skilled over time.

================

I think it’s fine to pull some news items primarily or just about Biden. And although this item also compares to Trump, we don’t always need to do this.

Biden should have known better.

Back in late 2016 and early 2017 [before Jan. 20], Biden should have had an experienced member of his staff quickly go through these papers. And since I understand classified documents are in colored envelopes, a person should be able to just race through boxes of documents.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
================

Back in late 2016 and early 2017 [before Jan. 20], Biden should have had an experienced member of his staff quickly go through these papers. And since I understand classified documents are in colored envelopes, a person should be able to just race through boxes of documents.
Yes, that would've been the wise thing to do. He could say that this is hindsight, and that it's a common issue that can happen with any government official with high clearance. But then after knowing about Trump's case with classified documents, that should have especially prompted Biden to check his on files.

I'll wait until after the investigation to draw any further conclusions, like if this was criminal or just neglect, etc.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
True.... most of this stuff was out before the mid-terms. I just wonder if the DOJ is involved, then I don't think that Congress should be. Just like the Jan. 6 investigation. I think all of that could've been handled by law enforcement. Too many other things Congress should be focused on, imo.