Here's part of a convo from another thread:
Either way, the more agnostics that join here then the more likely you are to get their perspective.
Maybe. Or maybe most folk who identify as Agnostic are not concerned with connecting with one another on these levels...

William's explanation might be valid. Here's an article on Independents that brings up a similar point... The article is on Independents which i consider to be the agnostics of politics since they leave the partisan parties likely for the same type of reasons that agnostics leave the Christianity and atheism:
From Pew Research
Independents often are portrayed as political free agents with the potential to alleviate the nation’s rigid partisan divisions. Yet the reality is that most independents are not all that “independent” politically. And the small share of Americans who are truly independent – less than 10% of the public has no partisan leaning – stand out for their low level of interest in politics.
Key takeaways:
- Low levels of interest
- Very small percentage of true independents

If you remove all forms of the word "politics" or even substitute "philosophical" in place of it in the excerpt, then I think you'd get the picture that you are trying to paint for agnostics.

So why would agnostics have a low level of interest in uniting or in even contributing to the topics covered on this forum?

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
So why would agnostics have a low level of interest in uniting or in even contributing to the topics covered on this forum?
I know that there is a Reddit community for agnostics that has close to 47,000 members (view that here). Based on my interaction there, I'm sure not all of them are agnostics - some don't even know what to identify with. In comparison, the atheism reddit community has about 2,700,000 members and the Christian community (there are more than one) has a combined total of about 400,000. So agnostics are definitely in the minority.

But besides numbers, one reason why they may not show high interest in uniting or contributing much to debate is because being "uncertain" or rallying around that is not that inspiring. You don't really have much to stand for. I might be wrong or exaggerating but one thing I have tried to do is to show the positive or more assertive side of agnosticism. I believe Thomas Huxley actually provided a roadmap and I intend to spread that message.

A phenomenal amount of information and thank you very much! :)

(tried to post a graph from this source, was not able to)

I guess I would just add that it’s most probably telephone surveys, and like most surveys, the results are confident to plus or minus 4 percentage points, something like that.

. . . one thing I have tried to do is to show the positive or more assertive side of agnosticism. I believe Thomas Huxley actually provided a roadmap and I intend to spread that message.
I love the idea of medium step, feedback, etc., etc., multiple cycles!

That’s how I could form a country & western band.

That’s how all life on Earth evolved.

That’s how, perhaps in a better system, we could reach out to young people who were borderline delinquent and step-by-step help them become doctors or their choice of a wide-range of other interesting professions. Or a nurse like Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents, which doesn’t require a priest-like level of time commitment. Or a decent and honorable sales jobs (half of sales jobs are rip-offs, but the other half aren’t).

===================

I’m just putting some ideas out there. Odds are you probably have a different direction in mind, which is perfectly A-okay with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy

(tried to post a graph from this source, was not able to)
I figured it out... You can highlight or right click on the image from the site and select "copy image link" Then you can post the image here by copying the image link into the "insert link" button in the text editor tool bar. ONe of the charts posted below:

PP_2019.03.14_Independents_0-01-1.png

I love the idea of medium step, feedback, etc., etc., multiple cycles!

That’s how I could form a country & western band.

That’s how all life on Earth evolved.

That’s how, perhaps in a better system, we could reach out to young people who were borderline delinquent and step-by-step help them become doctors or their choice of a wide-range of other interesting professions. Or a nurse like Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents, which doesn’t require a priest-like level of time commitment. Or a decent and honorable sales jobs (half of sales jobs are rip-offs, but the other half aren’t).

===================

I’m just putting some ideas out there. Odds are you probably have a different direction in mind, which is perfectly A-okay with me.
I like psychology, but I don't want to take over Dr. Phil's job with the delinquent teens. It's a good and positive idea though.

I allow anyone to join the site and I think we already have a diverse group which includes believers all the way up to the skeptical. I'm especially looking to target those who are fed up with the "orthodox-like" attitude that any group can exhibit, whether it be the atheist or theist, or the democrat or republican. I think the theme of my site, which is having an open-minded, freethinking, and non-partisan environment, will help draw those types here in addition to bringing in everyone else.