I received an email regarding my view on agnosticism. I won't reveal the name or full contents of the email. I challenged the email sender to join the forum and discuss the topic. Basically, he is claiming that he sees no difference between an agnostic and atheist. Atheists can be just as "reasonable and open-minded as agnostics." I will challenge that claim here. Anyone else feel free to respond.

I believe that atheists can be rational and open-minded. The problem is for an atheist to be rational and open-minded is selective and/or a choice, whereas it is a standard for an agnostic (at least according to Huxley's version) to be that way. For an agnostic, it is a matter of principle, and they are defined by those principles according to Huxley. And keep in mind that the agnostic standard applies in all intellectual matters (matters where reason can be applied, e.g. in debates, etc.). In contrast, many atheist usually apply reason only when going against religion, but not so much in topics involving politics, philosophy, etc.

Feel free to chime in!

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Atheists can be just as "reasonable and open-minded as agnostics."
Can be.

But not always are. The problem is the atheist has put himself or herself in a box.

An analogy is a boss who has a rep as a George S. Patton “take no prisoner” type who is ready to clean house and fire people as a necessary.

Once you have that kind of reputation, it’s kind of hard to throttle it back a notch and act in a more “middle of the road” way.

So yeah, the atheist is perceived by others as a tough guy or as a tough gal. And this has at least some basis in reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Agreed Leumr.

The agnostic could just as easily have a perception different than what their standard is if they strayed from their standard. Fortunately, that has not happened for the most part :)

Whereas, the atheist label now has a bad rep. just like the Christian when it comes to being militant, having an "orthodoxy", etc.

Another reason why an atheist can not be as open-minded as an agnostic is because beliefs can become barriers, especially when they are held strongly and/or used to form a worldview. Both atheists and Christians are boxed in by these beliefs. In contrast, the agnostic that follows Huxley's standard does not box himself in by committing to beliefs (in an intellectual context). This enables us to think outside of the box. As an agnostic, I can consider views from any side, whether it be the atheist or theist side or come up with my own independent thought.

Are atheists known to be more than willing to adopt views from the theist side?! Are Christians known for that? I think agnostics are known for that!