Israel and Palestine are engaged in another major conflict. There are a lot of passionate supporters on the side of Palestine and a lot on the side of Israel, as well. Unfortunately, I think there has been a lot of partisan and extreme reactions and viewpoints out there, perhaps because of anger, because of politics, because of nationality, etc. I think agnostics would fare well in this situation because many of us tend not to get caught up in the major fighting between two sides (although many agnostics limit that to debates on God). This would reflect in our views on hot button issues and help create a contrast with the more partisan crowds.

For instance, seeing the way things are being politicized, I don't expect to see much listening between the two passionate sides. And if you're not even listening, will each side really acknowledge the valid points of the other side. If not, how do we expect to progress in a good way? So lets have a discussion among agnostics and other like-minded members here.

Example of how partisan debate tends to turn out in the US... I only posted this here because at least both sides (somewhat) were argued... Professor Cornel West vs. Professor Alan Dershowitz...
It almost seems like it could've came down to blows if the two debaters were younger and didn't hold professional titles.

For Discussion:
1. What's your reaction to the recent Israel and Palestinian conflict?
2. What is your reaction of the supporters on each side of the conflict?

Last edited:
Let me break the ice by offering some of the things I've done to not become the typical partisan (taking one side unreasonably and/or unquestionably) on this issue. I've listened to viewpoints on both sides, esp. the Palestinian side. Before this recent conflict, I admit that I never listened much to the Palestinian side because I assumed that Israel was always in the right. I've since realized that that's a biased perspective.

Last edited:
Here's a very good discussion that touches on this topic and how it is taking place on college campuses. The speakers are professors, They touch on polarization, black-and-white thinking towards complex issues, freedom of expression, how students should handle disagreeing or opposing ideas, etc. Both sides of the Israel and Palestine perspectives (in terms of the reactions to the conflict) are covered...

I'll look other content that I think is fair-and-balanced or non-partisan.

And for a look at how scary some college campuses are becoming when there's disagreement, just watch this segment:

1. What's your reaction to the recent Israel and Palestinian conflict?
My reaction is that the attack by Hamas on civilians was tragic and wrong on many levels. In my view, nothing justifies terrorism. I think Israel has the right to defend itself and it should eliminate Hamas completely. Since Israelis inhabit most of the land, then I think they have more responsibility to better the conditions of the Palestinians and to follow through with the two-state solution.

What is your reaction of the supporters on each side of the conflict?
I think what separates a partisan from a non-partisan is not just the type of views that each would come up with, but also how each would interact with others and their views, especially when there's differing opinions. During protests I've not only noticed a lot of disagreement, but also a lot of anger and a lack of empathy for the other side. For instance of the Pro-Palestinian side, there seems to be a lack of acknowledgment of what Hamas did was wrong and an acknowledgement of the victims. If the two sides need to talk to each other, then that's certainly not a good start for respectful and rational dialogue. If anything, it could cause more division. Now this is not to say that the pro-Israel crowd are always right either, but their protests have seen more tame from the videos I've seen so far.

*My reactions are subject to change based on input from both sides.

Last edited:
2. What is your reaction of the supporters on each side of the conflict?
ONe response from the pro-Palestinian side that I disagree with is when they bring up the reason why Hamas kills Israelis. Perhaps some are bringing up this context so that we can understand Hamas' actions, but bringing up their motives does not justify their acts of terrorism. Even if Hamas wanted to win back their land through combat, there is still much better ways to engage in military action than to kill civilians and take hostages, not to mention that that is against international law on warfare. Had Hamas just targeted the Israeli military then it probably wouldn't be so much outcry against their actions.

But even if they followed international law on warfare, then we'd still have to question the justification of removing all Jews from Israel. Where are we going to put millions of Jews? Would they be eliminated via genocide? That would be something to question, esp. if there are other diplomatic ways to get it done.

Last edited: