Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
Poseidon-Adventure.png

From the 1970s:

The loss of the Vietnam War,​

Watergate, and​

Energy and economic problems.​

Things and situations which were both bad, and hard to understand.

Last edited:

A collection of scenes.

Please see 3:03 in video.

=========

Rev. Scott: “May I have your attention please. May I have your attention please!”

He points to where a few people are climbing upward.

Scott: “That’s the way out. That’s our only chance.”

Ship’s Purser: “Don’t listen to him! We have to stay here till help arrives.”

Rev. Scott: “Help from where, from the Captain? He’s dead. Everyone’s dead who’s above before the ship turned over because now they’re underneath us, under the water.”

Ship’s Purser: “That’s not true.”

Scott: “It is true, you pompous ass. There’s no one alive but us. No one’s going to help us, except ourselves. It’s up to each one of you! It’s up to us — Together! Now, please, for God’s sake, come with us.”

Purser: “I order you not to go. He knows nothing about the ship.”

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
At first, I thought this was related to Christianity because you brought up "faith" but I now realize that's not the case. I never saw the movie but I can see how it contains all of the essential problems taken place in the 70's. Ironic that the Rev. would lack faith. I think though it can be spun to be a positive message in the sense of not putting full faith in man or government.

If government fails, I presume we're going to have to help ourselves. The doomsday preppers resort to buying guns, having useful material or metals to barter for other goods, shelter, etc.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Okay, I’ll agree that the preppers have a more interesting life, at least for a while. Until it becomes boring and flat because it’s not coming true, I guess similar to Christian endtimers.

I wish preppers ran two-track, meaning prepared to help in times of hurricanes and the like, as well as able to survive a collapse of civilization.

When I grew up, maybe 30% was anti-corporate not just anti-government. Rather it was suspicion of any large, remote entity. And corporation wasn’t just immoral, it was amoral which was a far scarier thing.

And this movie does have this corporate guy on the boat who orders full speed ahead without taking the time to take on additional ballast for the rough seas. He’s the representative of the new owner. And supposedly he has the power to fire the captain, and the next duly licensed officer in line will take his place.

It doesn’t make a difference in the movie because the ship is simply hit by a rogue wave.

I think it’s a nod to the Titanic, which I believe went full speed ahead in an area with iceberg danger just to keep to the ambitious schedule of its maiden voyage. Not all the way sure about this.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
And corporation wasn’t just immoral, it was amoral which was a far scarier thing.
(y)(y)

Okay, I’ll agree that the preppers have a more interesting life, at least for a while. Until it becomes boring and flat because it’s not coming true, I guess similar to Christian endtimers.
Right! People have been predicting the end times since around Jesus's time? We're still here. I don't want to let my guard down, but at the same time I don't want to limit the ability of humans to persevere, as well. As you mentioned, I think it would be wise for us to a prepper side to us, but don't limit yourself to just that.

PoseidonGH-CL-Daytime.jpg

Rev. Scott’s sermon from the beginning:

God is pretty busy.

He has a plan for humanity that

stretches beyond our comprehension.

So we can't expect Him to concern

Himself with the individual.

The individual is important

only to the extent. . .

of providing a creative link

between the past and the future. . .
Therefore, don't pray to God

to solve your problems.

Pray to that part of God within you.

Have the guts to fight for yourself.
Quite a different sermon.

God as a creative force, and it’s up to us to try.

At the end, Rev. Scott argues with God.

And he commits suicide?

Well, he does do the vital task of turning off the vent for the hot steam blocking their path. But he doesn’t really spend energy trying to come up with a better alternative. And he wastes a little energy arguing with God before he gets to the task of turning the valve.

Quite a different sermon.

God as a creative force, and it’s up to us to try.
Yes, quite different than the ones that say to leave it up to God to do everything.