I wanted to discuss what dogmatism is and how people become dogmatic. Dogmatism is a recurrent concept in Huxley's writings in that he spoke out against it and even coined the term 'agnostic' as a position against it. Here are some of Huxley's statements against dogmatism:
To quarrel with the uncertainty that besets us in intellectual affairs, would be about as reasonable as to object to live one's life, with due thought for the morrow, because no man can be sure he will be alive an hour hence. Such are the conditions imposed upon us by nature, and we have to make the best of them. And I think that the greatest mistake those of us who are interested in the progress of free thought can make is to overlook these limitations, and to deck ourselves with the dogmatic feathers which are the traditional adornment of our opponents. Let us be content with rational certainty, leaving irrational certainties to those who like to muddle their minds with them. I cannot see my way to say that demons are impossibilities; but I am not more certain about anything, than I am that the evidence tendered in favour of the demonology, of which the Gadarene story is a typical example, is utterly valueless.
Source: Thomas Huxley, Possibilities and Impossibilities; The Agnostic Annual (1892) - Collected Essays V

Some twenty years ago, or thereabouts, I invented the word "Agnostic" to denote people who, like myself, confess themselves to be hopelessly ignorant concerning a variety of matters, about which metaphysicians and theologians, both orthodox and heterodox, dogmatise with the utmost confidence;
Source: Thomas Huxley. Agnosticism: A Symposium; The Agnostic Annual (1884)

For debate:
1. What is dogmatism?

2. Is it wrong to be dogmatic?

3. How or why do people become dogmatic?

Last edited:
So for debate:
1. What is dogmatism?
1: the expression of an opinion or belief as if it were a fact : positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant
2: a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises
Dogmatism | Definition of Dogmatism by Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)

Dogma
1c: : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
Dogma | Definition of Dogma by Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)

2. Is it wrong to be dogmatic?
It is wrong to be dogmatic because it is not conducive to truth. One obvious reason is that it mixes opinion with fact, or it involves attitudes that treat opinion as such. We see this in politics, in religion, and even in science where beliefs are dogmatized. Examples of such dogmas are materialism, certain liberal or conservative views (e.g. gay marriage is wrong, transgender girls should be considered girls, esp. in sports) certain religious beliefs, esp. involving morality. People usually view these dogmas as being true or act and behave as such eventhough they're not fully supported by logic and evidence.

3. What are the causes of dogmatism?
People wanting things to be true, regardless of evidence. Discomfort with uncertainty may be a cause since many respond to uncertainty by filling the gaps with opinion. I believe dogmas like materialism may be a result of overconfidence in the success of science. Seeing all of the success of science may lead someone to feel confident that a materialistic science can explain any or everything. Such overconfidence doesn't take into account the limitations of science.

Last edited: