In one of Thomas Huxley's writings, he states the following, "follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration." I would expect for every reasonable minded person to follow reason, so I question why did Huxley feel the need to bring it up with some extra emphasis. Why did he consider this a distinction for agnostics in that he defined agnosticism in terms of it? Here's the context surrounding the statement I'm asking about:

If any one had preferred this request to me, I should have replied that, if he referred to agnostics, they have no creed; and, by the nature of the case, cannot have any. Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle. That principle is of great antiquity; it is as old as Socrates; as old as the writer who said, "Try all things, hold fast by that which is good" it is the foundation of the Reformation, which simply illustrated the axiom that every man should be able [246] to give a reason for the faith that is in him; it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. That I take to be the agnostic faith, which if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him.

For Debate:
What did Huxley mean by the following statement, "follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration."?

What did Huxley mean by the following statement, "follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration."?
To my understanding, Huxley wanted agnostics to stand out as people who did not deviate from the use of reason and science when establishing a fact or view of something. This of course would mean that he noticed many others, religionists and non-religionists alike, that deviated from reason and science so I'll answer the question in that context.

I've identified at least 3 ways that people can deviate from reason:
1. There are those who don't rely on reason at all
2. There are those who use reason selectively up to a point and perhaps they don't even care about if it can be used further
3. Those that try to apply reason and science beyond their limits or becoming overconfident and/or dogmatic.

The first instance is easy to identify, especially among religionists. Religionists tend to accept the truth of their religions based on faith or often vague experiences of the divine. This is not to say that the religionists claims are false, since even faith or unscientific claims can turn out to be true, but rather it's to highlight the fact that many of them tend to accept claims without KNOWING or verifying that they are indeed true.

The second instance involves those who use reason selectively or only when it benefits their view. One common group that people accuse of doing this are creationists, but to that I'll also add politicians, and anyone else that aren't truly committed to placing logic and evidence over their opinions. People who usually resort to using science and reason selectively are those that want their view to be true no matter what. They are probably well aware that their views can't be proven or that some of it is even disproven, but yet they still want to hang on to it perhaps because they don't like the truth, or they don't want to be shown wrong, or for whatever personal reason.

The last scenario is very relevant to Huxley because he talked about it the most when it came to the reason he developed agnosticism. His goal was for it to be a standard against dogmatism. In the case of atheists, dogmatism may come about when there is overconfidence in science or a set of scientific findings and that gets some thinking that it can be applied everywhere, like towards history, towards metaphysical matters, etc. It's of course would be nice if we were able to have scientific certainty of everything, but trying to use science in areas where it can't be used is an abuse of it. When it comes to scientific findings, some may assign unwarranted weight to materialism, thinking that science has been able to explain so much within that paradigm, that everything else can and will be explained as such. Now of course, religionists can be very dogmatic, but their dogmatism tends to differ from atheists when it comes to the type of beliefs that they try to pass off as knowledge. Religionists are willing to put full confidence (I consider that unwarranted confidence) in faith (their religious doctrine) and anecdotal experiences, whereas atheists at least put confidence in ideas that are closer to science.

I thought of an area where many atheists don't apply reason. That area is politics. Many atheists tend to be very scientific-minded when it comes to dealing with religion, but if they were consistent, then they should also apply reason and science (at least as far as it can take them) to politics. And when I say many don't do that, I'm speaking from years of experience debating political issues with atheists, esp. on gun rights, immigration, etc. A lot of them tend to be liberals.