For popular or very good threads
As another point, I also find it interesting that the earlier religions or conceptions of God tended to identify God with the Universe (pantheism?) or some aspect of it. As religion begin to develop more, the concept of God became more specific.

Yes - animism and paganism where humans identified naturally with the environment and the environment became the first "God" - naturally so.

I think paganism was the first step/instrument whereby folk requiring answers to our shared fundamental questions initiated through animism, began to install humans claiming to know those answers, and in turn, other religions evolved from out of paganism, which itself derived from animism, which in turn derived from the fact that we existed within a God.

Back in the day (understandably) the earth itself (and the mysterious stars above) would have been ample enough (sheer size) to have anyone believe they were existing within a God.
Since then, things have only proved to be even more enormous than the earth, and yet the same provides us with the very definition of existing inside of a God.

• Insightful
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
bahman post_id=685954 time=1702834989 user_id=12593 said:

Let's unpack all this then.

I am saying that that is one feasible scenario. I am not talking about non-stuff/non-physical.

Okay so you are speaking only of natural physical stuff?

Where is the contradiction?

I have already pointed out the contradiction.

Ok, so to you they are synonyms. To me, they are not.

This is because you define God as supernatural being while I define The Universe as God (thus a natural being.)

You claimed that nothing cannot lead to something. Didn't you? I am agnostic toward that statement.

It appears that while you claim to be agnostic toward the idea that nothing cannot lead to something you are not agnostic towards the idea that something can come from nothing. In that, there appears to be further contradiction – possibly related to the previous contradiction.

If by universe you mean all of existence then you should include non-physical within.

You are furthering the contradiction by at first claiming that you mean (by The Universe), "spacetime and physical within" and then adding to that, the belief that there is also “non-physical” within The Universe, which has to be accounted for.

The burden is on you to account for this supposed "non-physical" stuff.

No, it is what it is.

Indeed, I agree. Where we disagree is in our definition of "what is The Universe.".

That is the definition of the whole to me. You are free to define it differently.

You appear to now be introducing another element called “The Whole” which you consign "that which is ALL of space and time and their contents. It comprises ALL of existence, any fundamental interaction, physical process and physical constant, and therefore all forms of energy and matter, and the structures they form, from sub-atomic particles to entire galaxies." but is not The Universe. The difference between our philosophies is that I consign both The Universe and God as the same, (having the exact same attributes) and you do not.
Unsnipped SOURCE
SOURCE

As another point, I also find it interesting that the earlier religions or conceptions of God tended to identify God with the Universe (pantheism?) or some aspect of it. As religion begin to develop more, the concept of God became more specific.

Yes - animism and paganism where humans identified naturally with the environment and the environment became the first "God" - naturally so.

I think paganism was the first step/instrument whereby folk requiring answers to our shared fundamental questions initiated through animism, began to install humans claiming to know those answers, and in turn, other religions evolved from out of paganism, which itself derived from animism, which in turn derived from the fact that we existed within a God.

Back in the day (understandably) the earth itself (and the mysterious stars above) would have been ample enough (sheer size) to have anyone believe they were existing within a God.
Since then, things have only proved to be even more enormous than the earth, and yet the same provides us with the very definition of existing inside of a God.
That's a very good point. I could see the concept of God evolving because humans wanted to speak for God. So they invent a god that is able to speak to humans, and in some cases, these gods are even able to do human things like sleep with women (Greek myth). Then of course the religious leaders can fill in the details themselves passing off their own views and actions as being from God.

I won't go as far as claiming that all conceptions of a personal God followed that same track, but I do think these conceptions of God run a higher risk of being misinterpreted and/or abused by humans.

Last edited:
Reactions: William

That's a very good point. I could see the concept of God evolving because humans wanted to speak for God. So they invent a god that is able to speak to humans, and in some cases, these gods are even able to do human things like sleep with women (Greek myth). Then of course the religious leaders can fill in the details themselves passing off their own views and actions as being from God.

I won't go as far as claiming that all conceptions of a personal God followed that same track, but I do think these conceptions of God run a higher risk of being misinterpreted and/or abused by humans.
Human Science (science) is also "guilty" of this reaction. The place humanity is at currently shows us that the war is being fought but not with the intention to come to some agreed cease-fire through sorting out the human baggage from the actual experience human baggage derives.

Science (as far as I am aware) has not shown that energy and matter are temporal.
Therefore while we can say that there are objects formed through the "apparent" interplay, (which are altogether recognized as "The Universe" and are generally regarded as deriving from a point called the "Big Bang"...

...Scientists (and we) cannot show that the point itself didn't rest upon an eternal field of matter and that the energy which occurred and unfolded into what is currently the universe of formed-objects we are experiencing is not the expression of a mind/mindfulness and is not the same as the matter itself...Is not material...is immaterial.

(Sure - these things can be said - but cannot be shown to being the case).

For that matter, we cannot determine whether the Point is an exit or an entry.

So - sticking with what we know now, what can we agree with re the definition of "The Universe"?

Human Science (science) is also "guilty" of this reaction. The place humanity is at currently shows us that the war is being fought but not with the intention to come to some agreed cease-fire through sorting out the human baggage from the actual experience human baggage derives.
Good point. Scientists are also tasked with interpreting the information that they've gathered from the Universe. There is bound to be misinterpretation and/or abuse even since we are drawing conclusions based off of an incomplete picture. If we look at traditional materialism as being analogous to religious doctrine, then we can say that scientists are also trying to make everything fit that narrative or doctrine, and that's esp. the case when it comes to consciousness.
So - sticking with what we know now, what can we agree with re the definition of "The Universe"?
It definitely involves matter and energy that is organized and interacts in a variety of ways. Unless we accept that matter came from non-matter or nothing, it seem more likely that the matter came from matter. There are some alternatives explanations but I don't think they are as easy to accept as your explanation. I'm open to evidence either way.

Philosophical Dialogue on the Nature of the Uncaused Cause

Philosopher 1:
Yes, it’s possible that there is an almost infinite series of causes, but I don’t think there could be an infinite series of causes. Which means that this thing that has always existed would have to be uncaused. I think you are agreeing?

Philosopher 2: *nods*. Yes I am agreeing.
At this point we have reached agreement re definition of The Universe (bubble) and that it had a beginning event (which has been scientifically verified beyond reasonable doubt) and that this signifies causation and that while there may be untold number of causations (beginnings), we agree that these all must logically and rationally be traced to/attributed to an eternal source which never had a beginning/has always existed.

Do you agree with the above? If so, what now? What is to occur between us re the agreements we have to this point?

Philosopher 1: The next step I would take is that this uncaused, eternal, first cause must transcend space and time since it precedes the existence of space and time (whether that comes into existence with this bubble or came into existence in one of the intermediate causes). Do you agree?

Philosopher 2: If by "transcend" you are meaning it goes beyond the range or limits of anything which has a beginning, (such as The Universe - Bubble) I would agree with that assessment.

Philosopher 1: I mean that (at least at one point) it was immaterial and timeless.

Philosopher 2: That is too much of a jump of assumption.
I can agree that an eternal cause would have to be timeless, but there is nothing to say it would have to be immaterial.

GPT: The dialogue you provided reflects a philosophical discussion on the nature of an uncaused, eternal first cause and its characteristics. Let's break down the key points and evaluate them:
  1. Agreement on the Existence of a First Cause:
  • Philosophers 1 and 2 seem to agree that there must be an uncaused, eternal first cause that transcends the series of causes or beginnings.
  1. Nature of the First Cause:
  • Philosopher 1 argues that the first cause must transcend space and time and be immaterial and timeless.
  • Philosopher 2 agrees that it must be timeless but disagrees on the assumption that it must be immaterial.
  1. Philosopher 2's Objection:
  • Philosopher 2 raises a point of contention, stating that it's too much of an assumption to conclude that the first cause must be immaterial.
Now, let's evaluate these points:
  • Agreement on Existence of First Cause:
  • This agreement is based on the idea that an infinite series of causes is not plausible, leading to the necessity of an uncaused, eternal first cause. However, it's important to note that this conclusion is based on a philosophical argument rather than empirical evidence.
  • Nature of the First Cause:
  • Philosopher 1's argument for the first cause being immaterial and timeless relies on the premise that it precedes the existence of space and time. Philosopher 2 challenges the assumption that it must be immaterial, stating that being timeless is enough.
  • Philosopher 2's Objection:
  • Philosopher 2 raises a reasonable objection by suggesting that while timelessness may be a necessary characteristic, there's no compelling reason to assert that the first cause must also be immaterial.
In philosophical discussions, such disagreements are common, and the exploration of different perspectives contributes to a deeper understanding of the topic. The next steps in the dialogue could involve further exploration and justification of the respective positions, seeking common ground, or addressing the points of contention in a more detailed manner. The discussion may delve into metaphysical considerations and the nature of existence, consciousness, and causation.

Me: So, it would be up to P1 to explain why the uncaused has to be immaterial in nature.

GPT: Exactly. In philosophical discussions, each participant is responsible for providing reasons and justifications for their assertions. In this case, Philosopher 1 should elaborate on why they believe the uncaused, eternal first cause must be immaterial in nature.
Philosopher 1 might present arguments such as:
Preceding Space and Time: If the first cause predates the existence of space and time, it may be argued that it cannot be bound by material constraints or temporal limitations.
Transcending Physical Attributes: Immateriality could be seen as a necessary quality for something that transcends the physical universe. Anything with material attributes might be considered contingent on the physical world.
Consistency with Traditional Notions of God: Depending on the context of the discussion, Philosopher 1 might draw upon religious or theological perspectives that often describe a divine or transcendent being as immaterial.
Philosopher 1's task would be to address Philosopher 2's objection and provide a compelling case for why immateriality is a necessary attribute of the uncaused, eternal first cause. The dialogue may then continue as both philosophers explore and scrutinize each other's arguments to arrive at a deeper understanding of the nature of the first cause.

Me: What P1 and P2 have already agreed with is that The Universe exists and had a beginning.

GPT: Thank you for the clarification. If both Philosopher 1 (P1) and Philosopher 2 (P2) have already agreed that the universe exists and had a beginning, and they're now discussing the nature of the uncaused, eternal first cause, this sets the stage for a more focused exploration.
Given this context, P1 could refine their argument by connecting the immateriality of the first cause to the characteristics inferred from the agreed-upon points about the universe. For example:
Preceding the Universe: P1 could argue that since the first cause predates the existence of the universe, which is material in nature, it logically follows that the cause must be immaterial.
Causation and Temporality: P1 might argue that causation itself implies a temporal relationship, and since the first cause is uncaused and eternal, it must transcend the temporal nature of the universe, thereby being immaterial.
Consistency with Scientific Understanding: P1 could appeal to scientific theories (if compatible) that describe the origin of the universe and argue that an immaterial first cause aligns with the conditions preceding the known material reality.
However, it's crucial to note that these arguments are philosophical in nature, and the conclusions drawn may vary based on different philosophical perspectives. The dialogue could continue with P2 critically examining these points and providing counterarguments or alternative perspectives, fostering a deeper exploration of the nature of the first cause.

Me: P1 would have to explain the logic in relation to the logic as to where an immaterial being created the material used to form the universe.

The logical train of thought to follow is that The Universe is organised into various states of matter and that the matter itself is what the uncaused consists of and thus the matter (before it was organised into the beginning of what both agree is The Universe) derives from the uncaused entity they both agree is eternal.

GPT: Certainly, your clarification adds depth to the discussion. If the focus is on understanding how an immaterial first cause relates to the creation of the material universe, Philosopher 1 (P1) would indeed need to provide a logical explanation for this transition. Here's a potential line of reasoning:
  1. Immaterial Cause as the Source of Material:
  • P1 could argue that the uncaused, eternal entity they both agree upon is the source or origin of all existence, including the material that makes up the universe.
  1. Transcendence of Immaterial Cause:
  • P1 might posit that the immaterial cause transcends the limitations of materiality and is capable of manifesting material existence. This could be supported by the idea that the cause is not bound by the constraints of space, time, or the physical laws governing the material universe.
  1. Creative Act:
  • P1 may propose that the uncaused, eternal entity has the ability to bring about the organization and formation of matter through a creative act. This act could be seen as the initiation of the universe.
  1. Eternal Nature of Matter:
  • P1 might argue that the matter itself, before being organized into the universe, has an eternal quality derived from the uncaused entity. The material aspect of the universe is not seen as having a separate, independent existence but rather as a manifestation or extension of the eternal cause.
This explanation attempts to reconcile the immaterial nature of the uncaused cause with the creation of the material universe. However, it's important to recognize that these arguments are speculative and deeply rooted in philosophical and metaphysical perspectives. Philosopher 2 (P2) could still engage with these points, raising counterarguments or seeking further clarification on the nature of the transition from the immaterial to the material. The dialogue would likely continue as both philosophers explore the coherence and implications of these ideas.

Let’s unpack and critique those arguments.

1. An Immaterial Cause as the Source of Material is a contradiction and also invokes magic thinking by claiming material is able to be produced from nothing whereas a material cause has the material available in and of itself (eternally) and thus there is neither contradiction or magical thinking involved.

2. Transcendence of Immaterial Cause assumes there are limitations re material based only upon what is observed re The Universe through the human mind/sensory system.

However, those limitations can be explained re the design of said Universe and do not have to apply to all material objects which transcend The Universe, including the eternal uncaused…which is to say, we cannot assume that because this Universe has limitations imposed on it (re it designed) that a material designer must also have the same or any limitations.

3. Creative Act assumes magical thinking and therefore breaches/overreaches beyond logic and rationality.

4. Eternal Nature of Matter is what P2 is arguing that the uncaused is made of, and where all material derives.

Thank you for critically engaging with the arguments and providing your critiques. Let's further analyze the points you raised:
  1. Immaterial Cause as the Source of Material:
  • Your critique rightly points out the potential contradiction and the challenge of claiming that material can be produced from nothing. It emphasizes the contrast with a material cause that already possesses the material. This critique aligns with a common philosophical concern about the nature of creation ex nihilo (creation from nothing).
  • Your objection challenges the assumption that an immaterial cause would necessarily be bound by the observed limitations of the material universe. It introduces the idea that the limitations of the universe may be a result of its design rather than inherent properties of material. This raises questions about the applicability of observed limitations to a transcendent cause.
  1. Creative Act:
  • Your critique correctly identifies the potential invocation of magical thinking in proposing a creative act from an immaterial cause. This objection aligns with a common skepticism toward explanations that seem to go beyond logical and rational frameworks.
  1. Eternal Nature of Matter:
  • Your point aligns with Philosopher 2's perspective, emphasizing that the uncaused cause is made of eternal matter and serves as the source from which all material derives. This underscores the idea that the material universe is not a result of creation ex nihilo but rather an organization of pre-existing eternal matter.
These critiques highlight the challenges and potential pitfalls in philosophical discussions about the nature of the uncaused cause and its relationship to the material universe. The dialogue between Philosopher 1 and Philosopher 2 could delve deeper into these issues, exploring alternative perspectives, addressing objections, and refining their positions in light of the critiques presented. Such discussions contribute to the ongoing exploration of metaphysical questions and the nature of existence.

Philosopher 2: I will offer critique regarding the claim the eternal cause needn't/shouldn't be regarded as "immaterial".

1. An Immaterial Cause as the Source of Material is a contradiction and also invokes magic thinking by claiming material is able to be produced from nothing whereas a material cause has the material available in and of itself (eternally) and thus there is neither contradiction or magical thinking involved.

2. Transcendence of Immaterial Cause assumes there are limitations re material based only upon what is observed re The Universe through the human mind/sensory system.
However, those limitations can be explained re the design of said Universe and do not have to apply to all material objects which transcend The Universe, including the eternal cause…which is to say, we cannot assume that because this Universe has limitations imposed on it (re its particular ongoing design) that a material designer must also have the same or any limitations.

If one were to argue that material is a creative act of eternal entity which has the ability to bring about the organization and formation of matter from nowhere as the initiation of the universe, such an act has to be regarded as magical thinking and therefore breaches/overreaches beyond logic and rationality.

It is therefore logical and rational to discard the claim that the eternal cause is immaterial. Rather, it is logical and rational to assume that the uncaused cause is made of eternal matter and serves as the source of all material which The Universe consists of. This underscores the idea that The Universe is not a result of creation ex nihilo but rather, the result of an organization of pre-existing eternal matter.

GPT:
Philosopher 2 has presented a robust set of critiques and arguments against the notion that the eternal cause must be immaterial. Let's break down and analyze these points:
  1. Contradiction and Magical Thinking:
  • Philosopher 2 rightly emphasizes the potential contradiction and the invocation of magical thinking when positing an immaterial cause as the source of material. The objection reinforces the idea that a material cause, which already possesses the material, avoids these conceptual challenges.
  • The objection challenges the assumption that an immaterial cause must necessarily share limitations observed in the material universe. Philosopher 2 introduces the idea that the limitations of the universe might be a result of its design, and this doesn't necessarily apply to a material cause beyond the universe. This points to the need for caution when generalizing observed limitations.
  1. Magical Thinking and Logical Overreach:
  • Philosopher 2 argues that if one were to claim that material is a creative act of an eternal entity bringing about the organization and formation of matter from nowhere, such an act would be regarded as magical thinking and beyond logic and rationality. This objection questions the coherence of proposing a creative act from an immaterial cause.
  1. Material Nature of the Uncaused Cause:
  • Philosopher 2 concludes by asserting that it is more logical and rational to assume the uncaused cause is made of eternal matter, serving as the source of all material in the universe. This perspective aligns with the idea that the universe is an organization of pre-existing eternal matter rather than a creation ex nihilo.
These objections contribute to the ongoing dialogue, highlighting the challenges and potential inconsistencies in positing an immaterial cause.

Summary: Philosophical Dialogue on the Nature of the Uncaused Cause
In this philosophical dialogue, two philosophers, labeled Philosopher 1 (P1) and Philosopher 2 (P2), engage in a discussion about the nature of the uncaused, eternal first cause and its relation to the material universe. The points of agreement include the acknowledgment of the existence of the universe and its having a beginning. However, the philosophers diverge on whether the uncaused cause must be immaterial.
P1 argues for the immateriality of the uncaused cause, presenting reasoning related to the transcendence of space and time and the creative act that precedes the universe. P2 responds with critiques, challenging the idea of an immaterial cause as a source of material and questioning the assumed limitations of a transcendent material cause.
P2 further objects to the concept of a creative act as magical thinking and argues for the logical and rational assumption that the uncaused cause is made of eternal matter, serving as the source for the material universe.
The dialogue underscores the complexity and depth of metaphysical discussions, involving considerations of materiality, transcendence, causation, and the nature of existence. Both philosophers contribute critiques and arguments, reflecting the ongoing exploration of fundamental questions about the origin and nature of the cosmos.
Top of Form​

• Exceptional post!
@William
Love the way that discussion played out, especially since you organized it in a good way. I agree with your objection to the view that the first cause must be immaterial.

Your objection challenges the assumption that an immaterial cause would necessarily be bound by the observed limitations of the material universe. It introduces the idea that the limitations of the universe may be a result of its design rather than inherent properties of material.
This is a very good point. Many, including myself, only think about matter in terms of how it works in the Universe. Who's to say that that it couldn't work much differently (w/ less limitations), esp. if there's no time, or no space, or no physical laws, or none of the three.

Either way, I agree that there's no compelling reason to say that it has to be immaterial, although I'm still open to it (the first cause could contain both material and immaterial aspects).

I agree that there's no compelling reason to say that it has to be immaterial, although I'm still open to it (the first cause could contain both material and immaterial aspects).

If you can put forward reasonable rational that we should be open to anything having "immaterial aspects" I am open to hearing your ideas.

I agree that there's no compelling reason to say that it has to be immaterial, although I'm still open to it (the first cause could contain both material and immaterial aspects).
If you can put forward reasonable rational that we should be open to anything having "immaterial aspects" I am open to hearing your ideas.
Well, in general, I'm open to evidence for any viewpoint. The reason I'm open or even accept the non-physical is because there are various types of subjective experiences that lead me to question materialism, such as consciousness, mental imagery, hallucinations, dreams. Something physical can be experienced from the third-person point of view while subjective experiences can not.

That's much of my view in a nutshell. We have debated on this earlier on in the thread (starting around post #5), but obviously, you are not convinced of my points so I felt it best just to tell the audience about where we stood, like in post #16. It would be interesting to see what ChatGPT had to say about my points. :unsure:

I had a debate with ChatGPT on the existence of the nonphysical. To read more, go here.

Last edited:
Well, in general, I'm open to evidence for any viewpoint. The reason I'm open or even accept the non-physical is because there are various types of subjective experiences that lead me to question materialism, such as consciousness, mental imagery, hallucinations, dreams. Something physical can be experienced from the third-person point of view while subjective experiences can not.

That's much of my view in a nutshell. We have debated on this earlier on in the thread (starting around post #5), but obviously, you are not convinced of my points so I felt it best just to tell the audience about where we stood, like in post #16. It would be interesting to see what ChatGPT had to say about my points. :unsure:

I had a debate with ChatGPT on the existence of the nonphysical. To read more, go here.