Jul 1, 2021
If we all had the same opinions, discussion would be dull.
On the other hand, if we all had different opinions, it might become too argumentative.
One problem I see with a "Christian" message board for example, is that most will believe in Jesus and Christ and respect all of what is written in the Bible.
These people will argue among denominational lines but all believe in God.
Will an agnostic forum struggle to attract varied members? Is that what is wanted?
Why would an atheist come here? They might find our views too moderate. Too measured. Not firm enough. Uninteresting.
What is the fate of this forum?
Is it better to believe in something,? To all have a shared belief?

For me , the ideal message board allows me to write non linear blog style on all topics. I am going to burn out very quickly if only focussed on religion and agnosticism.
This mightn't suit you agnostic boy. So let me know if my tangential writing style is unsuitable.
Journal style writing allows me to process my thoughts and thinking. That's the value of writing. Getting our thoughts down on paper. Or should I say screen. Looking at it and going "ugh". Or "look how crazy I've become". ..." Gee I am quite perceptive sometimes" or " why did I write that?".
Drafts. We naturally edit our thoughts after a while.

I am obsessed by weight loss at the moment. I was obsessed by Christianity once. And "the truth". But now I see it's a waste time seeking the truth. The external truth anyway. its the internal truth that matters. Am I being totally transparent?what am I not noticing now? Buddhist influence of course.
All the time I was seeking external truth I was ignoring my weight gain. I chose to be blind to it. What am I choosing to be blind on now? Or what blind spots do I have? We need to face ourselves with courage. Then we are better able to face the world .

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
If we all had the same opinions, discussion would be dull.
Very true. I've been a member of several different types of forums and group chats, ranging from an all Christian forum to a mostly skeptic/atheist forum. The major criticism I have about those types of forums where everyone is mostly of the same group is that they have a sort of orthodoxy in their views. If you stray too far, then they'll either jump on you or ban you. I encountered that years ago as a Christian and on a Christian board, at that.

Will an agnostic forum struggle to attract varied members? Is that what is wanted?
I want people of different backgrounds and beliefs to join, but then I also want the forum to still have an agnostic theme. Having that agnostic theme is what separates this site from others that also allow anyone to join. I believe some of the key characteristics of agnosticism is being non-partisan and freethinking so my agnostic theme for the site involves creating a non-partisan environment and one that fosters freethinking.

Why would an atheist come here? They might find our views too moderate. Too measured. Not firm enough. Uninteresting.
Well at least they wouldn't dislike our views as much as they dislike the Christian views. (joke)

Well, honestly, I'm sure they'd want a challenge. Speaking from experience, I would say a lot of atheists enjoy a good debate. As for being too moderate, I hope that will vary. If we get people of different beliefs and backgrounds joining, which I already allow, then it won't just be the moderate type of agnostics. However, if some people are looking for a moderate perspective, then they can find that in at least one section of the forum.

I think I need more advertising and clearness regarding the point that anyone can join and that the agnostic part is just about the theme and not about a particular view. As I mentioned before, the agnostic theme is just me basically saying that I want honest debate and discussions unlike what we find in political discourse.

Is it better to believe in something,? To all have a shared belief?
When we get enough agnostic members, then I am interested in creating a group for agnostics. That will involve some shared beliefs or principles. But for the rest of the forum, I don't expect there to be a shared belief. I will definitely allow different perspectives.

Reactions: notsuretobehonest
For me , the ideal message board allows me to write non linear blog style on all topics. I am going to burn out very quickly if only focussed on religion and agnosticism.
This mightn't suit you agnostic boy. So let me know if my tangential writing style is unsuitable.
Journal style writing allows me to process my thoughts and thinking. That's the value of writing. Getting our thoughts down on paper. Or should I say screen. Looking at it and going "ugh". Or "look how crazy I've become". ..." Gee I am quite perceptive sometimes" or " why did I write that?".
Drafts. We naturally edit our thoughts after a while.
You style is just fine. I don't want to take away from someone's style, especially if it's what they feel best at.

I haven't seen anything in our discussions that would go outside of the discussion parameters I've listed in the guidelines. If anything comes up then I'm sure we can work through it. : )

Hey, great questions in this thread by the way!

I've found on Christian forums there is a definite need to connect on a personal basis. Fellowship. Who is this guy from Australia anyway? Why does he say such stupid immature things at age 63?
Otherwise it's all very distant and serious.
Our emotions are just as important as our intellect in my pretty darn humble opinion.
Hey agnostic boy...point me in the direction of the thread which tells me who you are.
Your career perhaps. Or your marital status. And so on. If you want to that is ..

I've found on Christian forums there is a definite need to connect on a personal basis. Fellowship.
Yes.. very true. Atheists can also enjoy fellowship or congregating with others that they share beliefs with. The fellowship aspect of this forum will probably play out differently though because there may not be much shared beliefs among agnostics beyond our willingness to be content with uncertainties. Agnostics will probably have similarities in how they approach discovering truth (being more open-minded perhaps, less dogmatic, etc).

While I consider fellowship between like-minded people to be good and natural, but I also believe we need to go beyond that. We should also be willing to congregate or have discussions with people that we disagree with when it comes to politics, religion, etc. There's room for both types of congregations in my view.

Hey agnostic boy...point me in the direction of the thread which tells me who you are.
Your career perhaps. Or your marital status. And so on. If you want to that is ..
I posted some details in my profile but those details are more about my belief. Here's more of a personal side:

I currently work in healthcare as a medical assistant. I'm using that as a stepping stone to pay my way through college to eventually become a neuropsychologist or maybe a psychiatrist. I have a beautiful girlfriend who is in nursing school. No kids, yet. I'm in my 30s, male, of course. I use the name AgnosticBoy because I like to think that my passion for a good and fun life and for truth will always keep me young and active. I was born and raised in the United States, but much of my family are of Canadian/French descent.

For now, that's about as far as I'll go regarding personal life.

Reactions: notsuretobehonest
Yes.. very true. Atheists can also enjoy fellowship or congregating with others that they share beliefs with. The fellowship aspect of this forum will probably play out differently though because there may not be much shared beliefs among agnostics beyond our willingness to be content with uncertainties. Agnostics will probably have similarities in how they approach discovering truth (being more open-minded perhaps, less dogmatic, etc).

While I consider fellowship between like-minded people to be good and natural, but I also believe we need to go beyond that. We should also be willing to congregate or have discussions with people that we disagree with when it comes to politics, religion, etc. There's room for both types of congregations in my view.

I posted some details in my profile but those details are more about my belief. Here's more of a personal side:

I currently work in healthcare as a medical assistant. I'm using that as a stepping stone to pay my way through college to eventually become a neuropsychologist or maybe a psychiatrist. I have a beautiful girlfriend who is in nursing school. No kids, yet. I'm in my 30s, male, of course. I use the name AgnosticBoy because I like to think that my passion for a good and fun life and for truth will always keep me young and active. I was born and raised in the United States, but much of my family are of Canadian/French descent.

For now, that's about as far as I'll go regarding personal life.
Thanks agnostic boy. Gives me a better idea who I am communicating with.
I did some nurse assistant work in the disability field. Also I worked in a psychiatric hostel for 4 years. As a night shift support worker.
I am originally an elementary school teacher. Then I taught English in Japan for a while. I got a post graduate certificate in counselling. Just an introductory to Masters which I never finished.
So I am very much into psychology. Love Jung though I don't understand all his ideas.

Thanks agnostic boy. Gives me a better idea who I am communicating with.
My interest in psychology has to do with consciousness and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I believe the former is fundamental to human experience. As for CBT, it pretty much goes with the philosophy that we can change who we are by changing the way we think. I can't get enough of either topic.

I work with a team of clinicians (doctors, RNs, anesthesiologists, and surgical techs) that perform various operations, mostly vascular procedures. Nothing in my profession gives me any insight into the topics covered on this forum. I'm kinda split taking classes to enhance and sustain my current profession while also working on classes that would go towards psychology. Lots of work, lots of planning, but most importantly, I'm doing it all at my own pace.

What are some of your interests in psychology?

Also I worked in a psychiatric hostel for 4 years.
I've visited several psychiatric facilities. They are not too different than what the movies display about them.

Then I taught English in Japan for a while.
Interesting! I'll PM you for advice if I ever plan on travelling there.

Last edited:
interest in psychology has to do with consciousness and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I believe the latter is fundamental to human experience. As for CBT, it pretty much goes with the philosophy that we can change who we are by changing the way we think. I can't get enough of either topic
I like CBT and it is a useful tool in the hands of a skilled counsellor.
Psychoanalysis fascinates me even though it is probably out of fashion now. I like Jung and Jungian psychology plus Jos pH Campbell and Jordan Peterson.
Psychology is called a pseudo science but
I don't care. I never much liked science anyway.