In 2020, George Floyd died after a police officer, Derek Chauvin, kneeled on his neck for 9 minutes. Derek Chauvin was charged and his trial is almost over. Tensions are high, with threats of protests pending the outcome of his trial.

For regular (non-debate) discussion:
1. Do you think Derek Chauvin should be charged, and if so, with what? Manslaughter or murder?
2. Was race an issue?

Last edited:
For regular (non-debate) discussion:
1. Do you think Derek Chauvin should be charged, and if so, with what?
I should preface my response by saying that I find it very beneficial to not commit to any conclusion before BOTH sides have a chance to offer their side. This is hard to do given that a lot of people do the opposite, especially on hot button issues. I tend to get criticized for suspending judgement or at least not committing to any conclusion, but I don't apologize for wanting to hold out for the logic and evidence from BOTH sides of an issue.

Before the trial, my initial view was that ex-cop Chauvin was at least guilty of neglect and manslaughter, whereas a lot of others were concluding that it was murder and likely racially motivated. Now that the trial is nearing an end, I can say that my conclusion is still the same. I'm just more convinced that race did not play a factor. Instead this was a matter of the Chauvin using excessive force, and it seems he did so out of ignorance thinking that the suspect would still resist or that the suspect would not die from the actions taken ("since he's talking, he's breathing" Chauvin said). Manslaughter involves killing someone as a result of recklessness or negligence. Since the suspect died, Chauvin should face the consequences.

2. Was race an issue?
That was not proven and little to nothing was said about that during trial from the parts of the case that I watched.

Last edited: