It seems I see a new story on a police shooting of an African-American everytime I've opened my internet browser since the past week. I don't doubt that racism exist, but I question the extent to which it exist given the recent attention on police shootings. The latest incident is of a Black teen that was shot by police in Ohio (source). Many activists, including professional athletes took to social media to condemn the actions of the cop who fired the fatal shots. But I question these reactions for several reasons.

For debate:
Are reactions by some activists an abuse of the race card?

Last edited:
For debate:
Are some activists and the media using the race card when it comes to police shootings?
I believe the race issue is oftentimes abused and one big way it is when people jump to conclusions about race being involved. There are some valid cases of minorities being mistreated (not just killed) by police officers, but in many cases claims of racism are false or unproven. In the case of Ma'khia Bryant, it seems that many are jumping to conclusions. For instance, I've read reports about several activists and even professional athletes condemning the cop who shot Ma'khia. The reason I look at this as an abuse of the race card is because the justifiability of the killing is not being factored in. All that's being factored in is race, but again, what about the fact that Ma'khia was in the process of attacking someone with a knife? It seems there's an effort to paint all of these police shootings as being the same when that is far from the case.

I judge on a case-by-case basis and I suspend judgement until there is enough details, preferably hearing both or all sides of the incident (suspect, witnesses, and cop) before drawing a conclusion.